Forums

Are chess players normal?

Sort:
onthehouse

Russian novelist and chess composer, Vladimir Nabokov, was once quoted as saying of chess players, "There is nothing abnormal about a chess player being abnormal. This is normal." What do you think?

Crazychessplaya

They all crazy.

WhitePawn

There is no such thing as a normal human.

NimzoRoy

Do I look normal to  you?

Sherlock__Holmes

May be there are some normal, but i am not.

KarlPilkington

I'm normal.  I move wooden pieces around a board.

e4nf3

"Normal" is too wide of a distribution. Could you narrow it down a bit?

Zen

I don't think any stereotypically "normal" person would be attracted to chess. It all depends on how you define normal, though.

ivandh

Grandmasters have a lot of norms so I guess they are normal...

onthehouse

So as Forrest Gump might say,"Normal is as normal does"?

bcoburn2

it is not normal to claim to be abnormal - so if you claim to be not normal -

whatever-

mrsmokeymad

most of them, but the higher branch possesses more insanity, Fischer for example

nameno1had

Would someone care to share the eptiome of normal?

I have a feeling no one is exactly like it, except for the one individual who was used as a crash test dummy...

Bunnytheolive

"normal" is all relatively defined...i like to consider us all "special"...lol

nameno1had

I like whatever is convenient for me... lol

CalamityChristie

Vladimir Nabokov was talking out of his ass. Oh wait, lots more posts just above actually vindicate him!

i stand corrected!

nameno1had
JoseO wrote:

Chess players are no different than other people who like to collect movie memorabilia, attend scifi conventions, fixup classic cars, etc.

The problem has been that one or two great chess players have suffered some sort of mental illness and thus it creates a stereotype that playing too much high level chess will result in eccentric behavior.

Examples would be Paul Morphy and Bobby Fischer who are considered some of the best chess players in history yet suffered from mental illness at some point in their lives.

If only people realized eccentricity is generally made manifest through one's pursuits and not the other way around, the world would be a somewhat better place...

antioxidant

sanitygoes this way <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>.UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS WE ARE NORMAL BUT UNDER ABNORMAL CONDITIONS ITS HARD TO BE NORMAL AS WE ARE GOVERNED BY EMOTIONS BEFORE IT GOES TO THE CENTRAL PROCESSING OF THE BRAIN.

antioxidant

SANITY GOES BACKWARD,INSANITY GOES FORWARD,UNDER NORMAL  CONDITIONS WE CHOSE TO BE NORMAL BUT UNDER PRESSURE WE TEND TO BE ABNORMAL..WE ARE ALL GOVERN BY EMOTIONS, THINKING PROCESS REACH UP EMOTIONS MORE EASILY THAN TO THE CENTRAL THINKING PROCESS

CalamityChristie

bloody heck!