Forums

Black on the "Right"

Sort:
kco

Why can't I start with the black sq on the right and have the black pieces take placed of the white pieces instead ? will I get into trouble in the tourney ? 
  What happen if half way of the game you notice that you had set up the board 'the wrong way round' do you continue or what ? 

goldendog

Black still has a white square on the right.

You playing rotate-a-roo chess down under?

kco

yeah especially coming from down under lol.

kco

no, I mean rotate the board so you have the black sq on the right and setup with the black pieces taking over the white pieces instead.

kco

don't think I can do it with the image set up, can anyone help ?

goldendog

So you just want an image of such a set up?

kco

yes please, that would be great. 

goldendog

Ha ha...don't even know if I can Smile.

waffllemaster
kco wrote:

Why can't I start with the black sq on the right and have the black pieces take placed of the white pieces instead ? will I get into trouble in the tourney ? 
  What happen if half way of the game you notice that you had set up the board 'the wrong way round' do you continue or what ? 

Heh, yeah, one time at a club we set it up with black on bottom right... doh.

I suggested that because black had white's setup that black just move first and it's a normal game.  He said that would be too confusing so we turned the board and set it up correctly.

kco

yeah is it pretty normal, but I see 3 problem so far... folded board will look awful with the cut in the middle in between the players.... the existing notation on the board will look wrong and it well be confusing for newspaper, books etc for everyone to read.

DrSpudnik

Here is the USCF rule

"11G: Incorrect placement of the chess board. If, during a game, it is found that the board has been placed contrary to 3C, Initial position, which requires a white square in the nearer corner to the right of each player, then the position reached shall be transferred to a board correctly placed and the game continued."

kco

"transferred" ! why not just keep on playing ? as long you write down the move correctly is shouldn't be a problem.

DrSpudnik

I guess they're pretty serious about this white/black stuff. It can be a bit disorienting, actually. Anyhow, what's really interesting is if the players started with the pieces set up "correctly" on an incorrect board, with the Kings on the wrong side of the board. To set up the position correctly, you'd have to set up a mirror-image of the actual position, which would be even more prone to error, unless you set up the position from going over the scoresheet.

waffllemaster
DrSpudnik wrote:

I guess they're pretty serious about this white/black stuff. It can be a bit disorienting, actually. Anyhow, what's really interesting is if the players started with the pieces set up "correctly" on an incorrect board, with the Kings on the wrong side of the board. To set up the position correctly, you'd have to set up a mirror-image of the actual position, which would be even more prone to error, unless you set up the position from going over the scoresheet.

Yes.  So when you castled to your left, now you'd find your king on your right.  Unless they also made the mistake of putting the queen not on her color hah.

Yeah, I'd say just let them continue playing.

HessianWarrior

I say make all the squares white with thin black lines to define the squares. Then it won't matter which way the board is set, plus an added bonus is that you can push a Bishop one square left or right or up and down to your advantage when your opponent isn't looking as there are only white Bishops any way.

DrSpudnik

If the game is not 10 moves old, you can just make them start over.

cabadenwurt

This is quite a fun thread Kco. Recently there have been several threads started here in regards to Chess rules that could possibly be changed. I've gone ahead and started a thread on that subject as well ( Revolution in the Chess world  Hmmmm ).

DrSpudnik

This famous example would fix all color problems:

kco
HessianWarrior wrote:

I say make all the squares white with thin black lines to define the squares. Then it won't matter which way the board is set, plus an added bonus is that you can push a Bishop one square left or right or up and down to your advantage when your opponent isn't looking as there are only white Bishops any way.

yeah I was thinking that earlier then we don't have to worry about the beautiful language of saying 'dark or light square Bishop", surely is would have started that way when chess was invented before the checkers board pattern came out later ? 

ILBCNU

I thought the crease in the board was for crowning it for runoff in heavy rains. Didn't work too good with my cardboard set, though.