Forums

Carlsen and Nakamura slingin' everything at each other AGAIN

Sort:
MrDamonSmith

Carlsens very strategic and positional right? Like Capablanca, Karpov, Smyslov, petrosian, etc. But it seems that every time (well most) he plays Nakamura it turns into "oh, you threw a rock at me? Well, here's a brick! How ya like that, huh? Oh no you didn't! A wrench? Oh its on now, here's the kitchen sink, how you like dat?!!

MrDamonSmith

This game is hilarious. Magnus and Hikaru are friends but over the board you wouldn't know it. Naka is throwing everything out there and Magnus is like "ok, its like that? I'm castling right into it! Its on like a pot of chittlins'! Bring it on brave one........ and they'll laugh about it afterwards and probably go clubbin' together, maybe a few brewskys.

waffllemaster

Bg7, uh-oh  not looking good for Naka... or so my computer tells me ;)

But seriously... two knights on the rim, king in the center... even to me it looks uncomfortable.

waffllemaster

Yes, to my eye black still has lots of difficulty even if the computer is saying it's not so bad now.

Also is his time disadvantage.

APawnCanDream

It appears to me that Hikaru is trying to persuade Magnus that he has a legitimate attacking position even though (from my limited understanding) Magnus has the legitimate attacking position and Hikaru should be tightening up his position to prepare to defend (this after Hikaru's 21. ...Ng2 move).

waffllemaster

I guess he completely overlooked f6.  Wonder if carlsen will spot it.

APawnCanDream

I don't see how Hikaru is going to recover his position after Magnus's f6 move. Seems to shut down the lines for black's pieces to swing into the king side and it looks to me like Hikaru is over extended with disjointed pieces and pawn structure that'll be tough to manage against Magnus in the coming moves.

waffllemaster

Black's minors make a funny impression heh.

APawnCanDream

Hikaru's position is crashing under the stress of Magnus's pieces. Even if the clocks were reversed I doubt it'd help Hikaru. Oh well, next round new game! :)

MrDamonSmith

Naka does that N on the rim stuff and just leaves them there. He's playing one of the most brilliant positional players ever and tries this over and over. I guess that's why he's NEVER beaten magnus in 20 something games. 0-6 the rest draws maybe!? You'd think he'd change his overly (unwarranted) aggressive strategy after so many beat Downs. But ohwell, that's his style. Lets see how this game works out. Maybe?

ViktorHNielsen

Looks like Carlsen found a stronger move than the computers in a wild position. 29: Be6!! was just overlooked by the computers. 

rooperi

nah , he's gonna let magnus mate :)

[edit] oops, no he's not...Foot in Mouth

PatzerLars

Impressive win for Carlsen. Smile

waffllemaster

Naka likes to stare at his totally lost position for 15 minutes before resigning... well at least it's over now.

sapientdust

Carlsen's rating is now 2874, and he wins this tournament even if he loses the last game.

rooperi

Seems Sokolov's miserable tournament continues, looks like Hou's gonna take him out

MrDamonSmith

Carlsens a beast in all styles of play. If a players known for their tactical and attacking prowess they can get brutally beat down in their own style too.

waffllemaster

Well, I don't think carlsen was going for an attacking game.  But when his opponent slipped he certainly took advantage of it.  I wonder how much of that game was Nakamura deciding a draw meant nothing and he'd play for the win... or maybe it was a bad day... or then again maybe Carlsen's an incredibly strong player.  Maybe a little bit of everything heh.

Crazychessplaya

FirebrandX wrote:

It all came down to that horrible Ng2 move Nakamura made. The entire house of cards came crashing down after Carlsen found f6.

+1

waffllemaster

I was watching on chessbomb and I had to laugh when carlsen played a move not on its houdini3 list (sure they only let it think 30 seconds or something, but still).  And then the computer realizes Carlsen's move was very strong.  I think Kh1 and maybe 0-0 were not liked initially?  But specifically I'm thinking of g4.  Some users said houdini takes a very long time to find this move.  (Mine didn't find it after 5+ minutes and I got bored and turned it off).