chess book recommendations

NP173E18GM
Can someone give me some book recommendations ?
baddogno

 Enjoy...

https://www.chess.com/forum/search?keyword=chess+book+recommendations

marklovejoy

I've read several by Fred Reinfeld. Besides giving an overview of openings, defenses and the type of player they're best suited for, he's given valuable advice on topics like when to resign.

kindaspongey

https://www.newinchess.com/media/wysiwyg/product_pdf/3706.pdf

kindaspongey

Possibly of interest:

Simple Attacking Plans by Fred Wilson (2012)https://web.archive.org/web/20140708090402/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review874.pdf
http://dev.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/Simple-Attacking-Plans-77p3731.htm
Logical Chess: Move by Move by Irving Chernev (1957)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708104437/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/logichess.pdf
The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played by Irving Chernev (1965)
https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/most-instructive-games-of-chess-ever-played/
Winning Chess by Irving Chernev and Fred Reinfeld (1948)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708093415/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review919.pdf
Back to Basics: Tactics by Dan Heisman (2007)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708233537/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review585.pdf
https://www.chess.com/article/view/book-review-back-to-basics-tactics
Discovering Chess Openings by GM John Emms (2006)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140627114655/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen91.pdf
Openings for Amateurs by Pete Tamburro (2014)
http://kenilworthian.blogspot.com/2014/05/review-of-pete-tamburros-openings-for.html
https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/openings-for-amateurs/
https://www.mongoosepress.com/catalog/excerpts/openings_amateurs.pdf
Chess Endgames for Kids by Karsten Müller (2015)
https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/chess-endgames-for-kids/
http://www.gambitbooks.com/pdfs/Chess_Endgames_for_Kids.pdf
A Guide to Chess Improvement by Dan Heisman (2010)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708105628/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review781.pdf
Studying Chess Made Easy by Andrew Soltis
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708090448/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review750.pdf
Seirawan stuff:
http://seagaard.dk/review/eng/bo_beginner/ev_winning_chess.asp?KATID=BO&ID=BO-Beginner
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708092617/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review560.pdf
https://www.chess.com/article/view/book-review-winning-chess-endings
https://web.archive.org/web/20140627132508/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen173.pdf
http://www.nystar.com/tamarkin/review1.htm

RMChess1954

Here... https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/the-greatest-chess-books-ever-written-question-answered-once-and-for-all

 

kindaspongey

"... Just because a book contains lots of information that you don’t know, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be extremely helpful in making you better at this point in your chess development. ..." - Dan Heisman (2001)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140626180930/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman06.pdf
"... The books that are most highly thought of are not necessarily the most useful. Go with those that you find to be readable. ..." - GM Nigel Davies (2010)
"... If it’s instruction, you look for an author that addresses players at your level (buying something that’s too advanced won’t help you at all). This means that a classic book that is revered by many people might not be useful for you. ..." - IM Jeremy Silman (2015)

https://www.chess.com/article/view/the-best-chess-books-ever

robbie_1969

I suggest this publication.  Its the best.

null

Immensely readable and advocated by NM Pretzel2

DeirdreSkye

This thread might indeed be the best source of good books right now in all the net. Highly recommended.

robbie_1969

strange I don't see any of my superlative publications on that list, are you sure its not the lamest chess books of all time answered once and for all.

DeirdreSkye
robbie_1969 wrote:

strange I don't see any of my superlative publications on that list, are you sure its not the lamest chess books of all time answered once and for all.

The big publishing companies forbid us to mention your books. Sorry man , they have my family.

antek11213

.

robbie_1969
DeirdreSkye wrote:
robbie_1969 wrote:

strange I don't see any of my superlative publications on that list, are you sure its not the lamest chess books of all time answered once and for all.

The big publishing companies forbid us to mention your books. Sorry man , they have my family.

lol sigh always the big guys beating up on us little guys! what's a poor boy to do except maybe call the mob. wink.png

sting47

This book alone will improve your endgame to master level Alexander Panchenko Theory and Practice of chess endings http://ouo.io/5UHc5

 

Bruce Pandolfini Weapons of chess http://ouo.io/Yp01qh

DeirdreSkye
sting47 wrote:

This book alone will improve your endgame to master level Alexander Panchenko Theory and Practice of chess endings http://ouo.io/5UHc5

 

Bruce Pandolfini Weapons of chess http://ouo.io/Yp01qh

Thanks for the links! You are one of the very few really helpful guys in these forums.

RussBell

Check it out...

Good Chess Books for Beginners and Beyond...

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/good-chess-books-for-beginners-and-beyond

robbie_1969

There is no help like self help - Bruce Lee wink.png

NP173E18GM

kindaspongey wrote:

Possibly of interest:

Simple Attacking Plans by Fred Wilson (2012)https://web.archive.org/web/20140708090402/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review874.pdf
http://dev.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/Simple-Attacking-Plans-77p3731.htm
Logical Chess: Move by Move by Irving Chernev (1957)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708104437/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/logichess.pdf
The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played by Irving Chernev (1965)
https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/most-instructive-games-of-chess-ever-played/
Winning Chess by Irving Chernev and Fred Reinfeld (1948)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708093415/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review919.pdf
Back to Basics: Tactics by Dan Heisman (2007)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708233537/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review585.pdf
https://www.chess.com/article/view/book-review-back-to-basics-tactics
Discovering Chess Openings by GM John Emms (2006)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140627114655/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen91.pdf
Openings for Amateurs by Pete Tamburro (2014)
http://kenilworthian.blogspot.com/2014/05/review-of-pete-tamburros-openings-for.html
https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/openings-for-amateurs/
https://www.mongoosepress.com/catalog/excerpts/openings_amateurs.pdf
Chess Endgames for Kids by Karsten Müller (2015)
https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/chess-endgames-for-kids/
http://www.gambitbooks.com/pdfs/Chess_Endgames_for_Kids.pdf
A Guide to Chess Improvement by Dan Heisman (2010)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708105628/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review781.pdf
Studying Chess Made Easy by Andrew Soltis
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708090448/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review750.pdf
Seirawan stuff:
http://seagaard.dk/review/eng/bo_beginner/ev_winning_chess.asp?KATID=BO&ID=BO-Beginner
https://web.archive.org/web/20140708092617/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review560.pdf
https://www.chess.com/article/view/book-review-winning-chess-endings
https://web.archive.org/web/20140627132508/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen173.pdf
http://www.nystar.com/tamarkin/review1.htm

kindaspongey wrote: Possibly of interest:Simple Attacking Plans by Fred Wilson (2012)https://web.archive.org/web/20140708090402/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review874.pdfhttp://dev.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/Simple-Attacking-Plans-77p3731.htmLogical Chess: Move by Move by Irving Chernev (1957)https://web.archive.org/web/20140708104437/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/logichess.pdfThe Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played by Irving Chernev (1965)https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/most-instructive-games-of-chess-ever-played/Winning Chess by Irving Chernev and Fred Reinfeld (1948)https://web.archive.org/web/20140708093415/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review919.pdfBack to Basics: Tactics by Dan Heisman (2007)https://web.archive.org/web/20140708233537/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review585.pdfhttps://www.chess.com/article/view/book-review-back-to-basics-tacticsDiscovering Chess Openings by GM John Emms (2006)https://web.archive.org/web/20140627114655/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen91.pdfOpenings for Amateurs by Pete Tamburro (2014)http://kenilworthian.blogspot.com/2014/05/review-of-pete-tamburros-openings-for.htmlhttps://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/openings-for-amateurs/https://www.mongoosepress.com/catalog/excerpts/openings_amateurs.pdfChess Endgames for Kids by Karsten Müller (2015)https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/chess-endgames-for-kids/http://www.gambitbooks.com/pdfs/Chess_Endgames_for_Kids.pdfA Guide to Chess Improvement by Dan Heisman (2010)https://web.archive.org/web/20140708105628/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review781.pdfStudying Chess Made Easy by Andrew Soltishttps://web.archive.org/web/20140708090448/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review750.pdfSeirawan stuff:http://seagaard.dk/review/eng/bo_beginner/ev_winning_chess.asp?KATID=BO&ID=BO-Beginnerhttps://web.archive.org/web/20140708092617/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review560.pdfhttps://www.chess.com/article/view/book-review-winning-chess-endingshttps://web.archive.org/web/20140627132508/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen173.pdfhttp://www.nystar.com/tamarkin/review1.htm

robbie_1969

I have read,

Logical Chess: Move by Move by Irving Chernev (1957)

The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played by Irving Chernev (1965)

Studying Chess Made Easy by Andrew Soltis

 

the first was awesome, the second mediocre and the third really awesome.

 

robbie_1969

My latest publication hot off the press.

null

 

copies only threepence ha'penny