Forums

Chess Etiquette Question

Sort:
qrayons

Is it rude to announce when you have a forced mate? Recently I was playing and had a forced mate in 8, which is by farthest ahead I've ever calculated a forced mate, and wasn't sure if it was rude to announce it. Also, is it rude to ask to play it out? It was a smothered mate and would be the first time I would've pulled one of those off in a game.

MSC157

I guess that to annouunce it in a polite way is ok. At least I would be ok with this. To ask to play it out, I would prefer to ask it when the game is unrated. Because nobody wants to be mated. :D

I think the general rule would be "do what you'd like others would send to you" or something like that, IDK. :)

Scottrf

I would consider it somewhat rude.

Umadbrother95

Morals and Etiquette are for the weak minded, say whatever you want to say no one cares

linuxed

I would consider it rude, but I still think you should.

darkener

No need to announce anything. Just play your game. Force him to resign by playing your moves and not by your wisdom.

Scottrf
darkener wrote:

No need to announce anything. Just play your game. Force him to resign by playing your moves and not by your wisdom.

Yeah a few reasons:

1. I'm not sure talking is allowed other than draw offers or resignations.

2. It's a little offensive 'I've seen more than you'. Maybe you don't care for offending people but maybe they wont analyse with you.

3. You may be wrong in which case you look stupid.

Just play moves.

Unmaster

LOL yeah I would never announce a mate because if I was wrong... god I'd want to kill myself!   

MSC157
Unmaster wrote:

LOL yeah I would never announce a mate because if I was wrong... god I'd want to kill myself!   

+1

Legally-Blonde

you can have it announced on your local radio station.

Umadbrother95
Legally-Blonde wrote:

you can have it announced on your local radio station.

Legally-boring-Blonde , try harder next time

Legally-Blonde

what was it you were looking for, child ?

Umadbrother95

A funnier joke, or maybe a simple shut up would have done the job

Legally-Blonde

I could never be as funny as all the guys in your group.

Umadbrother95

shut up clown

Legally-Blonde

make me big boy.

L2Gt

Well that escalated quickly

Umadbrother95

zip it clowns

Legally-Blonde

try harder.

Umadbrother95

zip it blonde