Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
RovshanASLANOV57

no

Lordlydream

I'd assume many ratings are off anyway.  Myself, life comes first, so I often resign due to the kid or wife needing me, etc.  Also, at times I'm playing to work on something, and if the game gets away from that, I'll resign and start a new one.  My opponent wins, I get to move on.  Win win.

justice_avocado wrote:
1361 is higher than 1200. this isn't golf.

ziplinekitkat

My automatic rating was 800. wierd

Biguncho
I have a friend here in Chess.com who has increased his rating from 1373 to 2153 in just 4 months. How is that possible?
SU123

my rating started at 800

edilsoncavalcantejr

Once I watched a movie that shows a boy playing a game of chess. he suffers a penalty and is required to move his king a house further. what would be a penalty ends up favoring him in the match.

does anybody knows the name of this movie?

LAWRENCE_PLAYZ

MickyBJ wrote:

Why then did I go down from 1200 (to 1361) when I beat someone who has a rating above 1200 (1089)?? Admittedly don't have time to read the article... but hoping someone knows how this works anyway!

Umm.. Elo rating systems work as higher = better.

Hjaltland

1200 = poorer;    1300 = better

LAWRENCE_PLAYZ
Hjaltland wrote:

1200 = poorer;    1300 = better

yep.

fuggycolor

Um

diegocarrasco

if you make your account and set that you are a new in chess you start with 800  ranking if you set you are a begginer you start with 1200 ... so taht should be why but also if this are your first games is not too accurate the ranking is just an starting point  over the 25 games your ranking is more like it should be

BeginnerLevelPlayer

How do I change my level from intermediate to beginner ?  And how do you forfeit on here because I just got humbled pretty fast, lol.

move46

Raise the white flag.

BeginnerLevelPlayer

lol yeah I found the forfeit button, now if I can just change my status to beginner all will be well with the world 

move46

Go to Learn, Puzzles(Tactics), and spend some time there. Go to Learn, Openings and spend some time there. Learn, learn, learn. You won't be a Beginner much longer anyway. Good luck. Try not to move a piece somewhere you know you will have to move it back, as you lose a move that way. Stay ahead. Develop your center. Learn more and play less. Playing is not as fun as winning.

BeginnerLevelPlayer

Thanks for the feedback friend, I will do just that, have a good one

ognjanogun

Is there any inflation in rating system last 2-3 months? I have increased my rating by 100-150 points with no training and learning so much. I see Nakamura has reached 3200+, other players have 3000+ too.

How do you think?

Murdauuuandu

joeyson wrote:

wow ppl

just play

ratings dont even matter

But you don't play

move46

Two-minute games and the likes can change a person's ratings very quickly.  Quite a few games can be played in a day.

Should there be a limit on how many points a person can move up in a day? They would say no, because they work hard for the abilities to play so fast.