Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
Ziggyblitz
Violets_are_blue wrote:

My humble goal within 3 years is to reach 1500 Elo. I don't think I will beat many players. Is it still possible to get a reasonably accurate rating?

I assume you mean over the board chess.  You'd need to play a large number of games (maybe 50) against a variety of opponents to achieve a reasonably accurate rating, IMHO.  According to my turn-based Glicko RD = 61, meaning there is a good degree of confidence that my playing strength is + or - 122 points, (between 1892 and 2136) and I've played about 300 games.

Violets_are_blue
irrawang wrote:
Violets_are_blue wrote:

My humble goal within 3 years is to reach 1500 Elo. I don't think I will beat many players. Is it still possible to get a reasonably accurate rating?

I assume you mean over the board chess.  You'd need to play a large number of games (maybe 50) against a variety of opponents to achieve a reasonably accurate rating, IMHO.  According to my turn-based Glicko RD = 61, meaning there is a good degree of confidence that my playing strength is + or - 122 points, (between 1892 and 2136) and I've played about 300 games.

I will be prepared to play dozens and dozens of games. ;) Thanks.

Rafchess
Violets_are_blue wrote:
irrawang wrote:
Violets_are_blue wrote:

I will be prepared to play dozens and dozens of games. ;) Thanks.

Smilefor that we wish u get thru success!!

tommcgrath

2 get ur ratin up highr wud it b wisr 2 ply higr rated plyrs r lowr rated plyers

tommcgrath
oldbones wrote:

2 get ur ratin up highr wud it b wisr 2 ply higr rated plyrs r lowr rated plyers

sorry about hat I was in a rush what I meant to say was 

Too get your rating up higher would it be wuser to play higher rated oppenenents or lower rated oppnenents?

tommcgrath

haha

shrike1

I there a way I can have my rating manually lowered?

shrike1

like to zero?

Ziggyblitz
oldbones wrote:
oldbones wrote:

sorry about hat I was in a rush what I meant to say was 

Too get your rating up higher would it be wuser to play higher rated oppenenents or lower rated oppnenents?

Seriously, it is better to play lower rated players. However if you are really underrated then maybe the higher rated opponents would get your rating up sooner.

Ziggyblitz
shrike1 wrote:

like to zero?

Begs the question...Why would you want to?  If you feel you are overrated, your rating will come down soon enough.  Sandbagging is the tried and proven method for lowering your rating.  Although I don't know how low it is possible to go, probably about 500 or so.

shrike1

Is there a way for the moderators to manually lower my rating?

I deserv to be around zero.....can it be made so?

Rafchess
irrawang wrote:
shrike1 wrote:

like to zero?

Begs the question...Why would you want to?  If you feel you are overrated, your rating will come down soon enough.  Sandbagging is the tried and proven method for lowering your rating.  Although I don't know how low it is possible to go, probably about 500 or so.

Cool U go thru Erik's formula at the begining!!

marcel_712

Hello!

Ziggyblitz

There are only 40 players below 550.  The lowest rated member is above 250.  I'd guess most of these members are inactive.  Even if you could arrange to play these guys and managed to lose every game (they could be quicker on the resign button or just plain time out) you'd still couldn't reach a zero rating.

Rafchess
irrawang wrote:

There are only 40 players below 550.  The lowest rated member is above 250.  I'd guess most of these members are inactive.  Even if you could arrange to play these guys and managed to lose every game (they could be quicker on the resign button or just plain time out) you'd still couldn't reach a zero rating.

Laughing  U got an wonderful theme point!!

Ziggyblitz

what point was that?

snip3z

:( don't be hatin' on 250 raters!

Rafchess
irrawang wrote:

what point was that?

LaughingIrrawang 's point was in his proposition !!

iotengo
ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

what was elo's first name agian?

Arpad.

Rafchess
ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

actually someone did get zero, i don't remember who

Cool try to remember ur unrated opponent u fought and ur unconditional surrender resulting a zero achievement !!