Do you live in a chess city?

  • #21
    frankyyy27 wrote:

    england stinks for local chess....maybe not everywhere but u never c or hear of chess

    right thats why england is the only place where you hear chessnuts boasting in an open foyer. 

  • #22

    My city was founded on two main principles: Alcohol and ugliness. Chess wasn't among them.

  • #23

    The list is not acurate.

    Nr 24 Šibenik, is there only because of Team Championship for 1A and 1B Croatian league which has nothing to do with city it self. Their chess scene is way behind Rijeka witch is the strongest chess city in Cro. for years. Ahead of Šibenik are also Zagreb and Split, so...

  • #24
    TheBigDecline wrote:

    My city was founded on two main principles: Alcohol and ugliness. Chess wasn't among them.

    what city do you live in??

  • #25

    no seriously bigdecline please tell me, so i can avoid that city.

  • #26

    Nah, I have friends here, and I'm registered here under my real name.

    Sorry, I won't tell. But you won't believe how many Japanese tourists come to our place each year, especially at Christmas season. They only get around to see the nice places ofc.

  • #27

    nope

  • #28

    Chesterfield, county Derbyshire, England.

  • #29
    TheBigDecline wrote:

    Nah, I have friends here, and I'm registered here under my real name.

    Sorry, I won't tell. But you won't believe how many Japanese tourists come to our place each year, especially at Christmas season. They only get around to see the nice places ofc.

    well if you have friends here and post under your real name, than they know anyway which city you mean

  • #30
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #31
    TetsuoShima wrote:
    TheBigDecline wrote:

    Nah, I have friends here, and I'm registered here under my real name.

    Sorry, I won't tell. But you won't believe how many Japanese tourists come to our place each year, especially at Christmas season. They only get around to see the nice places ofc.

    well if you have friends here and post under your real name, than they know anyway which city you mean

    True ...

    Alright, it's Quedlinburg. We have a very nice castle, which was hosting the Kaiser (the medieval king) over Easter, but only then. The rest of the year he was journeying throughout his kingdom while collecting tributes from vassal states and, idk, drinking mead or whatever they did back then to pass the time! Smile

    The outskirts of the city are filthy and neglected and that's where I live. No wonder all the tourists are only interested in the nicer quarters of the town, because it's pretty depressive here. Aah well, there are millions of people who have more right to complain than me.

  • #32
    frankyyy27 wrote:

    england stinks for local chess....maybe not everywhere but u never c or hear of chess

    lol

    The climate is also worth mentioning... Yell

  • #33

    The big, die kleine... I knew there was something about your handle. I like it :)

  • #34

    A 7-year-old from my city came 5th in the last under-8 World Junior Championship, I guess it made chess a little more popular with kids in the area.

  • #35

    I live in a small town where I can count the number of chess players on one hand.  Literally.  Besides me there are three others who play to varying degrees, and one person just beginning.

    Maybe in a few years when my children are old enough I'll teach them how to play and increase the number of chess players in town.  My 3-year-old son already knows what the pieces are called and how to set up the board (sometimes with a little help), so we're at least on the right track.

  • #36
    Aetheldred wrote:

    The big, die kleine... I knew there was something about your handle. I like it :)

    Very nice! I never thought of that. (for people who don't know: 'die kleine' is 'the small' in German)

    But I didn't come up with that pun. When I opened up my account here, I just hadn't the greatest expectations of the outcome, hence the 'big decline'! :)

    But still: Nice detective work, Aethel!

  • #37

    NO!

  • #38

    I live near Boston. If that list were expanded, I think Boston might be further down.

  • #39

    No I don't, but no surprise since I live in a very small city. :P

or Join

Online Now