Does Chess Make U Happy?

bong711

Chess is a great game and hobby. And makes players happy after a bad day at work, business... especially when your wins outscore the losses 😊 What if you lost more? Does the game still make you happy? Or make your unhappy life even more unhappy? Thoughts, anyone.

IamNoMaster

Chess cant make you happy. The only thing that can make you happy is yourself. Chess is great fun though, whether you lose or win doesnt matter.

egoole

Chess doesn't make U happy....  it only makes your X happy...  and I don't know Y.. Maybe I might find out in my dreams.... Zzzzz

Ben_Amateur

I would say chess makes me happy when i am mentally exercised/challenged by a polite opponent of equal skill, who can help you improve.

So now i have written it out, self improvement is what makes me happy in chess.

bong711

For players who learned chess at age 9 or younger, playing the game makes them feel young kids again. Especially if you find a brilliant combination. Eureka!

Esteban_Garcia
Chess takes my mind away from things that make me unhappy. Life, mostly.
exnos
IamNoMaster you are so right , only you can make yourself happy, and not Chess .
bong711
bong711 wrote:

Chess is a great game and hobby. And makes players happy after a bad day at work, business... especially when your wins outscore the losses 😊 What if you lost more? Does the game still make you happy? Or make your unhappy life even more unhappy? Thoughts, anyone.

 

DeliciousFreeSample
I mean it makes me think, it slightly gets my adrenaline going.
bong711

How does chess compare to video games? Video games have better graphics and audio.

torrubirubi
I have ambivalent feelings about chess. I spend a lot of time with learning, time that I could use for my other hobbies. However, I really love to play a game against strong opponents. And as a chess collector and instructor (for beginners and weak players) I have other ways to have joy at chess.
IMBacon

Chess is capable of bringing someone pleasure, but happiness lies within.

I'm sure addicts feel their addiction brings them pleasure, but i can assure you they aren't happy.

bong711

I have different hobbies like reading, solving different puzzle games, and other Solitary activities. Solitary games can be boring. Chess is a.nice social game and challenging too. To win more and lose less, one got to study. And makes playing chess a happy hobby.

bong711
IMBacon wrote:

Chess is capable of bringing someone pleasure, but happiness lies within.

I'm sure addicts feel their addiction brings them pleasure, but i can assure you they aren't happy.

Addicts are terribly sick to understand how bad addiction is. Rehabilitation is their only hope.

DeliciousFreeSample
Well video games and chess are both games.

And you have to look at what video game it is. Strategic games that require you to think and plan ahead can be compared to chess. For example, a VR game by the name of SUPERHOT gives you a game where the enemies only move when you move, giving you time to think of a way to defeat them. Along with weapons and gadgets, it can be seen sort of like a chess board because you are in a room with other characters that can seen as "pieces". You need to calculate your moves, kill the enemy, and win the game.
bong711

Video games come and go. The hottest video game is popular only for a year or two. This makes chess different. It has timeless appeal. And those who believe chess won't be around forever, are mistaken.

DeliciousFreeSample
True, chess and video games cannot be compared when it comes to the appeal.
But I believe the variety of video games, and how you play them, gives them a slight advantage.
IMBacon
bong711 wrote:

Video games come and go. The hottest video game is popular only for a year or two. This makes chess different. It has timeless appeal. And those who believe chess won't be around forever, are mistaken.

Amen to that!

Angry Birds was a thing.  Then it was Mine Craft....and now its Fortnite..  In chess it was the Berlin Defense...then that changed.  People will make fun of a certain hair style, or clothes, until there "idol" gets it, and then suddenly!  Its cool.  People are lemmings.

DeliciousFreeSample
If, I love something I love it because it my own opinion. I don't really like to be "trendy".
It really has to interest me if it's going to get me to like it.
IMBacon
DeliciousFreeSample wrote:
If, I love something I love it because it my own opinion. I don't really like to be "trendy".
It really has to interest me if it's going to get me to like it.

I am the one person i know that doesn't follow trends.

Im actually pretty uncool/unhip.