Forums

en passant = Cheater!

Sort:
ikeicon

It seems like it never fails, when ever I capture a pawn en passant (in-passing) I am accused of cheating. LOL! Surprised

En passant (from French: in passing) is a move in the board game of chess (Brace 1977). It is a special pawn capture which can occur immediately after a player moves a pawn two squares forward from its starting position, and an opposing pawn could have captured it, had it moved only one square forward. The opponent captures the just-moved pawn as if taking it "as it passes" through the first square. The resulting position is the same as if the pawn had moved only one square forward and the opposing pawn had captured normally.

The en passant capture must be done on the very next turn, or the right to do so is lost.[1] Such a move is the only occasion in chess in which a piece captures but does not move to the square of the captured piece (Burgess 2000:463). If an en passant capture is the only legal move available, it must be made. En passant capture is a common theme in chess compositions.

This rule was added in the 15th century when the rule giving pawns the option of initially moving two squares was introduced. It prevents a pawn from using the two-square move to pass an adjacent opposing pawn without the risk of being captured (Hooper & Whyld 1992:124).

kco

whoa ! your first post since 2007 ! Laughing

sephjones

Sometimes people only post when they have something worthwhile to say.
If I could only write one concise post that articulates an explanation many will find useful and avoid the youtube video that droned on drearily in a dry drawl and energised me to find this post.... well.

I could go on and on, but that would be counterproductive to my overbaked point.

Have a nice day

Seph 

sephjones

Fantastic post, poster.

Thank you so much.

I needed it.

Dirty_Sandbagger

Epic thread necro

Lagomorph
Dirty_Sandbagger wrote:

Epic thread necro

Pass the mallet and wooden stake, and I will take care of this one.

dpnorman

If you play people rated over 1200, you will stop having this problem.

sephjones

who said its a valid problem.

i for one am in the camp that strategy happens within the context of the given rules. Its the definition of gaming, for me.

Honor is still bound even if 'dishonourable' play ie piece movement occurs.

The game is dumb, meaning mute. It doesn't care, it knows what is allowed.

The people who who bleat about it are dumb too.

But you knew I was gonna say that, so it likely
doesn't apply to you, dear reader.

Have a nice day 

Jion_Wansu

LOL another one of these threads

tyandtoby

how do you do this when playing. I have had folks enpasse but do not know how to actually take advantage of this when playing games on chess. com ty in advance

DrSpudnik
Jion_Wansu wrote:

LOL another one of these threads

At least it's not a poker thread.

ChastityMoon
tyandtoby wrote:

how do you do this when playing. I have had folks enpasse but do not know how to actually take advantage of this when playing games on chess. com ty in advance

If you need to ask you shouldn't be wasting your and other people's time playing chess.   Sign up for a remedial class on how to use the internet.  If you pass the course, give tic-tac-toe a try.

ijgeoffrey
tyandtoby wrote:

I understand this difficulty. When I first started using the site, I had trouble figuring out how to castle. When doing an en passant, simply move your pawn to the square where it should end up--your opponent's pawn will disappear. :)

imsighked2

Beginner's step one: Learn the rules.

Irinasdaddy

I have a Russian friend that I play chess with on occasion.  She's working on her PhD for biochemistry.  I played an en passant capture against her and she flipped out that I was trying to cheat.  It was quite cute.  I had to pull it up online and show it to her before she accepted that I was being truthful.

Freedomed
ChastityMoon wrote:
tyandtoby wrote:

If you need to ask you shouldn't be wasting your and other people's time playing chess.   Sign up for a remedial class on how to use the internet.  If you pass the course, give tic-tac-toe a try.

Don't be mean. It could be an eight year old or something. 

Pulpofeira

To better understand this rule is useful to take account it was implemented when pawns adquired the ability of moving two squares forward in their first move.

Pulpofeira

Anyway, there are much worse things than facing a beginner who doesn't know en passant or when is castling allowed. I've met people who has spent years playing "chess" with rules of their own; a very common example is "only the first pawn you move is able to go two squares forward", and so on.

9thEagle

Didn't someone kill someone else over the rule dispute a few years ago? Like in Ireland or something?

Pulpofeira

Could be. Recently a troll opened a thread here about chess in prison, since supposedly he had to serve sentence for ten years. Still I'm laughing when I remember the best advice another user gave to him: "give always a rematch, and never, I mean never, make a capture en passant".