Forums

Difficult puzzle for experienced players (1700+)

Sort:
K_Brown
Any 1700 player, or probably even 1400, should be capable of seeing a potential Boden’s Mate such as this one but I agree that a lot of people might be making the right move for the wrong reasons. I think that is unlikely for a 1700 player though.
The_Analyzer

K_Brown wrote:

The queen has nothing to do with the Boden’s Mate pattern that jumps out at the player though...

All that matters after you notice that pattern is the c4 square and the knight that defends it. Then you look for what advantages you can gain from it. In this example you can win the knight.

I agree, every player that notices the Boden pattern will solve this puzzle pretty fast. I became familiar with Boden's mate when I reached 1550 elo. Yet, every player is good in different types of patterns and some players would learn Boden's mate when they're 1200 elo or so. My brother Tywin_Lannister_k is pretty good in chess (1700 elo). I asked him to solve this puzzle, with the Queen being on f4 instead of g5. It took him more than 2 minutes to find the correct pattern. I guess Boden's mate is not one of the most common mating patterns in chess.

K_Brown

I’m sure there are a lot of people that probably get to 1700 without having to learn such patterns and are naturally above average in chess but I would bet that the average 1700 otb player who sustains that rating would be familiar with the Boden’s Mate. Of course, otb is different than internet ratings and I’m not sure to which you are referring. Some people can reach 1700 only to fall back down to sub-1600 a few weeks or so later when faced with new opposition.

ClementHY

im 1200 and got it in 10 seconds

PixelByPixel

I’m sub-1000, and I only missed the first move once!

LironM

Awesome boden, כל הכבוד happy.png

ITheOnlyME

Nice for a 1500 player, but higher up its pretty obvious to us.

Prachi8101

It's a good puzzlehappy.png I figured it was a mate with the bishop. My first try, I captured the wrong night. Only thing is, I don't think it is a forced mate but if he doesn't capture, you would have a positional advantage.

namishtheawesome

Sorry,I cheated. CONGRATS on win,though

sammy_boi
The_Analyzer wrote:

Hello Folks,

I just played my best game ever, so I decided to make a puzzle out of it.

The following puzzle is pretty hard to solve. Even strong players will find this puzzle challenging.

Good Luck and happy new year!

This is the whole game:

Took me less than 5 seconds. Just saying.

CreativeUsername23

I legit sacked my queen and it was the right move and everything else was obvious. I actually didn't cheat.

DanielGuel

I probably solved in like 25 seconds! happy.png

vanfenix
Maikomiamifl wrote:

HI Everyone, I got a question about resolve puzzle, on your experinace this really contribute on your improvement?  Thanks

Absolutely!

RagingRook1747

Qxg4 Nxg4 Bc4+ Qe6 Bxe6# nice puzzle!

CalebA1243

I'm only 1050, but I'm pushing 1700 in puzzles. I don't think I play enough games, but this puzzle wasn't too bad. The mate was kinda screaming out to me, and the only defender was that knight, so it wasn't the most difficult to figure out you needed to remove the defender.

Catto3542

Laufer2

I'm below 1200 and got it right grin.png

KingSkulltor_On_iFunny

Solved it and i'm not even 500 yet lol 😂