Forums

Fritz 13

Sort:
madhatter5

On Fritz 13, how do I know how many points I have?

azziralc

what is Fritz13?

NimzoRoy

How many points in what? I have Fritz 12 and I don't have a clue as to what you're asking here...

madhatter5

oh- sorry- I just assumed everyone had it, the way they advertised it.

Fritz 13 has a point system for the amount of analysis you do for the chess community.

madhatter5

anyone?

Justin_Sloan
The points you earn can be "spent" on positions you submit for analysis. When you login to Let's Check the chat window will say "Welcome, USER. You have ... Total points."
GnosticMoron

That's definitely an interesting new feature.

TimmyBx

Looks like you can also right click on your name, and chose "view user information", and it will show you how many points you have. 

BTW - he is talking about the "Let's Check" - you get points for each variation that you do analysis on that gets added to their "cloud".  Your analysis has to be one of the top 3 for that position, and at a minimum level of depth.  You get more points depending on how popular the position is (how many people have looked at it).

There is a review of Fritz 13 you might like on my website, http://tacticstime.com.

Meffort

I have a copy of Fritz 13 and signed up to their playchess server to see what that is like also. This let's check is a bit crazy to say the least. Firstly, I discovered that unless you have a playchess account then any moves you discover will be just listed as contributed by an anonymous user. Then while it takes a reasonable amount of time to get a green listed line, I was using Fritz 13 on a novel position in the Bg5 version of the Najdorf. I was taking 1.5 hours to analyze what black's 9th move should be since there was nothing in the database for this move. Well, in fact one guy had contributed the move Qc7 in this position last year but my copy of Fritz 13 thought that 0-0 was the better option. Anyway, the point is that after your move is in green color, that is not good enough to "discover" the position. Apparently, from what I have seen on other webpages, you have to wait until the analysis changes from green color to blue color. After blue color there is red color which is extremely deep analysis, at least for the casual home user. I would show you the line I was working in but I can't just copy & paste it from F13 so I have to type it in manually.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 6.a6 Bg5 Nbd7 7.Be2 e6 8.Qd2 Be7 9.f3 0-0 10.0-0-0 Qc7 11.h4 b5 12.a3 Nb6 13.g4 Nc4 14.Bxc4 bxc4 15.h5

The point is that nobody on the online database has analyzed move 9...0-0 (and beyond) before. Needless to say it has not appeared in any of the rated games either in the databases. I know that I have not included very many moves here but I got stuck waiting to see if I could make the green text change to blue and got as far as 27 ply on this move after waiting for 90 minutes until I accidently clicked on one of the moves in the notation pane so it started calculating that move instead. I was just wondering if somebody with more experience knows anything about "discovering" a move? I don't like the idea of leaving my computer on all night and it would be expensive to have to buy a new computer just for calculating chess moves. 

sirness

Hi,

I think that we can overdo the analysis, unless you are a GM time would probably be better spent on tactic training or looking over annotated games of your favourite openings, as well as playing as much as you can and looking over your games after.

I am no expert though, just my opinion,enjoy your chess folks.

Steve922477

I have Fritz 13 but haven't tried the LetCheck feature. It seems to me that you need to pay to contribute to a database which you then have to continue to pay to regularly in order to access it. Is that right?

Steve

TimmyBx

I think that you can only "discover" a move if it is not already considered a "book" move.  Additionally you have to do a deep analysis (at least blue) to discover it.

So it could be a move that no one has done any analysis on, but if it is in the opening book, you will not get credit for discovering it.

I am kind of surprised that after 27 ply it did not turn blue for you.  That is quite deep.

Make sure that you are only letting it do analysis of one line at a time (with the "+" and "-" buttons)

I added some analysis to this position...

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 Nbd7 7. Be2 e6 8.
Qd2 Be7 9. f3 O-O *

and got a blue and "discovered" it after only 19 ply.

So for some reason I got to blue, with fewer ply with Rybka 4.1 than the Fritz 13 analysis which was only green with 23 ply.

I am not totally sure why this is.  Maybe Rybka is looking at more moves per ply, and Fritz is "pruning" the lines.

TimmyBx

It seems like for some reason it is not giving you credit for discovering the moves.  You might want to run the update on your Fritz if you haven't already.

I got credit for "discovering" several of the moves in your variation that you listed above, with fewer plys.  The one where you had 27 ply and blue next to your name on move 9. f3 almost certainly should have given you credit for discovering it.

I got credit for discovering it with only 19 ply (my handle is tacticstime).

maelic

I do not really want to make you angry but I calculated your position to 32 halfmoves depth with the newest (for today) Stockfish 020614 with syzygy tablebases. Laughing

The truth is that each engine works with different strenght in different depth. Rybka reaches much lower depth than Stockfish. Where Rybka reach depth 20 SF can reach 30 in the same time of analysis. Rybka than reaches green and blue color of line sooner (in lower depth) than SF.

Then there is the problem of analysis quality. You canot expect to have one of the best analysis with weak engine. Deep Fritz 14 is almost as good as Rybka but Stockfish, Komodo and Houdini will always have higher priority since they are much better engines.

Best regards

maelic