Forums

Game: rating between 0 and 600?

Sort:
BlackPawnther
if you're interested in playing a game of chess and your rating is 0-600, please write down below that you accept the challenge
JustOneUSer
Unfortunately I'm not between the ratings you requested, but I just wanted to say your username is one of the best I have seen on this entire website, so we'll done on that.
BlackPawnther

Thank you

JustOneUSer
Well there are thousands of people around that rating, it might go into a million who had it at one stage.
BlackPawnther

PowerofHope wrote:

You're either a sandbagger or a very young kid at that level.

PowerofHope wrote: You're either a sandbagger or a very young kid at that level.

Destroyer942

Honestly I'm genuinely interested how low someone's rating can get. I tried hard to find the lowest level players possible, but I could not locate anyone below the rating of 100. If you or anyone you know is under 100, or possibly even near 0, please reply and tell me who it is. I cannot understand why it is such a rarity since noobs are not exactly uncommon.

BlackPawnther

it isn't possible to have a rating of less than 💯 because it is the lowest possible

cellomaster8
Someone has a 13 rating but you have to Plan when to lose/play your games carefully because of glicko rd
macer75
cellomaster8 wrote:
Someone has a 13 rating but you have to Plan when to lose/play your games carefully because of glicko rd

Yeah... what a pain. Things would be so much easier if we could decide for ourselves what our ratings are.

Preggo_Basashi
Destroyer942 wrote:

Honestly I'm genuinely interested how low someone's rating can get. I tried hard to find the lowest level players possible, but I could not locate anyone below the rating of 100. If you or anyone you know is under 100, or possibly even near 0, please reply and tell me who it is. I cannot understand why it is such a rarity since noobs are not exactly uncommon.

The math allows it to go into negatives, and [edit] for Elo it's convergent. Assuming you win infinite games vs regular players (lets say you have access to a limitless pool of players rated between 1000 and 3000 and never play the same person twice) the max rating is a little over 1000 x the K factor. A very brief google search says the K factor goes down to ~14.81, so the max rating would be a little over 14,810 (and minimum a little under -14,810). Well, this was fun to check out even though I know chess.com uses Glicko not Elo.

IIRC the USCF set 100 as the floor.

Chess.com also had 100 as the floor. I assume they still do.

Anyway, a true beginner may be rated negative, but a true beginner improves so quickly it makes sense that we don't see anyone legitimately rated 100 (unless perhaps they're very young or mentally unwell).

Preggo_Basashi

IIRC

The max number of moves chess.com allows in a game is 500.

The max number of moves you can post in a viewer on the forums was something like... 4500 I think.

Preggo_Basashi

It would be fun to test the limits of chess.com clock.

We could make an unrated game with the max time control allowed (I don't know what that is) and play the most moves possible. If there's only a few bits of memory assigned to the clock, we may be able to break it tongue.png

knight2607

Hey guys!

There is a super cool chess course at chessuniversity.com but in order to access it I need friends to join. All you have to do is click the link. Please help me out!

https://vrlps.co/a?pt=uvui8_QuRLuvgvQkJfyk8hDkPEU&referralCode=SysenPy4X&refSource=copy