Forums

Have You Ever Thrown a Chess Game?

Sort:
Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

I think I'll ask Ann Landers.

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

(or judge Judy)

Mandy711

Some threw games against their children, niece or grandchildren to give them taste of victory. There is really no need for that. Just play with them Xbox and Nintendo games. Sooner the adults will be declining challenges from the children Cool

sisu

Let's make it happen!

TKACHS

Playing an OTB round robin, this good player, who had to get to an appointment, walked in offering me a draw, which would have improved my ELO. I had come a long way to play, and certainly wanted the chance to play a higher rated player. So I lost in about 20 moves. I feel sorry he might have missed his date, but at least I got some playing experience plus the game sheet for later analysis.

fetchingimage

I have never thrown a game. But right now I am making "Oh, what the hell!" moves! Hate when I haven't a clue!

sisu

Let's make it happen!

shepi13
kingcobra1234

lol wow never done dat

winerkleiner
sisu wrote:
Balachandar wrote:

Yeah, even I was surprised at that. When I asked that 1600 rated guy if his opponent was absent, he said that they drew the game. The 2300 guy came to the tournament hall only in the evening for the prize distribution. 

And the tournament director said, "Oh, I'm very sorry old chap, but if you withdraw from the event you cannot receive a prize. The 1600 guy that you drew with in the last round, he received the winner's cheque".

bobbyDK wrote:

I remember a IM told about a tournament there the tournament leaders asked him to a let a player win a game because he could become a IM and he didn't want to.

That's right. If you want to become an IM, play like one, not a cheapskate.

True, but I stopped this year paying to win, can't afford it, Smile

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

The worst thing you can do to a student is to let him win.