Forums

How hard it is to reach 1400+ blitz

Sort:
Hesu74
KeSetoKaiba kirjoitti:
Hesu74 wrote:

I´m 47 years old and it took me 2 months to reach 1400 in blitz. When i was a kid i was "a math genius" and people wanted me to play chess but thought it was boring. Now at older age i have interested about it and find out that my fast brain works really well with blitz game format. Maybe i should taken chess more seriously as younger age. Now its too late to become pro player.

Define "pro" xD Chess World Champion, or Grandmaster (GM) is unlikely. However, just becoming titled (IM, NM, CM etc.) is still possible if you are willing to invest the time and effort to improve (but this "if" most don't find worth it). 

Mikhail Tal reached his peak 2700+ rating at age 44!

Dont know the history of Mikhail Tal but i believe he started playing chess at younger age. You just dont have enough time and strength at older age to become like over 2000 rated player if you start from bottom and no playing background at younger age. Or its almost impossible task. I only play blitz since i dont need to study openings or have high level end game skill since the time is the issues in game and in irl happy.png

Noob_ishSlayer

very hard

AlomenaSlayer

hArD

ATV-STEVE

1200 to 1300 players are harder to beat here than 1400+.

Theory ; the better players know more and are more cautious/ the 1200 players

just wood push blindly in blitz hoping to win on time.

KeSetoKaiba
Hesu74 wrote:
KeSetoKaiba kirjoitti:
Hesu74 wrote:

I´m 47 years old and it took me 2 months to reach 1400 in blitz. When i was a kid i was "a math genius" and people wanted me to play chess but thought it was boring. Now at older age i have interested about it and find out that my fast brain works really well with blitz game format. Maybe i should taken chess more seriously as younger age. Now its too late to become pro player.

Define "pro" xD Chess World Champion, or Grandmaster (GM) is unlikely. However, just becoming titled (IM, NM, CM etc.) is still possible if you are willing to invest the time and effort to improve (but this "if" most don't find worth it). 

Mikhail Tal reached his peak 2700+ rating at age 44!

Dont know the history of Mikhail Tal but i believe he started playing chess at younger age. You just dont have enough time and strength at older age to become like over 2000 rated player if you start from bottom and no playing background at younger age. Or its almost impossible task. I only play blitz since i dont need to study openings or have high level end game skill since the time is the issues in game and in irl

The history is interesting, but you are correct about Tal starting young. Tal was already renowned in chess by age 13 and was already a chess Grandmaster (GM) at age 21! It is no wonder he eventually became World Chess Champion. 

Tal also held the longest unbeaten streak in competitive chess history at 95 competitive chess games in a row. This wasn't broken until GM Ding Liren's streak of 100 games ended in 2018!

The amazing thing with Tal is how he just kept getting stronger and stronger at chess. He reached his peak rating at age 44 (rating 2705)! Shame Tal passed away at age 55. His partying, chain smoking and excessive drinking obviously caught up to him, but it is thought-provoking just how highly rated he could have become. Tal was born in 1936, so that would have made him 85 years old if he was alive today.

Hesu74

When i was 14 years old i did go to the local chess club and played there several times and got advice from some very good players. They mainly told me to what to study and what book to read. I remember reading one halfly and then being disapointed that you get so much advance from "learning chess" and not from simply playing. Thats not ofcourse completely truth but when you learn your first opening and how to response opponents you start to realize that chess has a lot more than just playing with your guts. Thats the real reason i never wanted to learn it any deeper or dont want to start learning program at this age. Chess is not just intelligent math game - i think you can become a really good player by just learning and practicing. But you cant reach the top unless ure also high intelligent (memory, quickness in your calculations etc.). Speed chess is just more fun since people makes mistakes and it reduce the skill level. I just dont want to become good player in hours of long games and even being over 2000 rated player in speed chess would require that you know openings by heart and how to response your opponents game + you have really good end games skills. I think end game is the most important part and you need to practice it alot to become good in it.

k-on-Enjoyer
nTzT wrote:

1400 Blitz on Chess.com is quite strong. But very reachable. I'd say 6 months to a year if you work really hard and a bit longer if you don't.

But you have to do the right things. You have to be productive in the time you spend on Chess. Do not get frustrated after losses and mindlessly spam game after game. Do not chase rating, chase improvement. It will feel more rewarding and you will enjoy the game more.

Always study your games, no matter what. 

good answer