Forums

How to think in chess

Sort:
Dirtalot

Hi guys, this probably is a completely idiotic question to ask but as I'm new to chess, I hope you excuse my lack of knowledge. I I'm having trouble organising my thought processes when trying to select my next move. Is there a specific way good chess players think when choosing a possible move? Even better, are there any books on the subject suitable for novice? Thanks

Lucifer99

Whenever you're about to make a move, look at every possible move your opponent could make in response. It takes dedication, but you'll start to see patterns and eventually be able just to glance over most of the meaningless continuences and focus on deeper lines.

Pre_VizsIa

By the middlegame, always have a plan. Start with the ramifications of your opponent's last move (what is he attacking, leaving undefended, etc.) then see what you can do to him.

gaereagdag

1. Do I have any checks. If so what do those checks lead to?

2. Same process for any checks that the opponent has.

3. Any captures from either side? Try to work out where they lead to?

4. More long term factors like pawn structure, unprotected pieces, activity of pieces.

Cecil Purdy in Chess Made EaSY listed a good thought process to use for new players. It was a bit similar to the above.

conejiux

Try to find another similars forums with a lot of information, books titles and interesting tips about how to think in chess.

pdve

dirtalot, great question.

first of all, remember, there is no correct way to think. everyone is unique.

but to answer your question:-

at your level, guessing by your rating, do not bother with books, they will only set you back

play and get a feel for how you play

start with extremely fundamental stuff like giuoco piano, scholar's mate etc..

work trhough problems in laszlo plogars 5334 chess problems. it is suitable for your level. don't try any other instructional books.

chess thinking is chaotic. research has shown that grandmasters use the area of the brain for long term memory. this might sound paradoxical but it is not. chess is learned by experience and patterns learned long ago and reinforced through performeance.

finally, do not be afraid to make mistakes..

Dirtalot

Thanks a lot , great advice.