Forums

How To Use Analysis Board

Sort:
Namssob

I am looking for a way to use the Chess.com analysis board as I study chess from a book.  In other words, I want to setup a board, NOT play against a computer or have any moves made, and be able to rearrange any pieces to any square as I read through a chess book.  The ability to backup and move forward again would be helpful.

Is there a tool in Chess.com that provides this capability?

Zen

One thing you can try is taking the analysis board from one of your games and going all the way back to the first move on it. Then just enter different opening moves according to what position you need to reach.

Jordan_G

Namssob, when you go into the Live section to play, under the time control tab there should be an "analysis board" option. That is what you are probably looking for. Let me know if you have any questions or if that isn't what you need.

Metastable

At the top of every page here there's a menu bar: Play/Learn/Share/Forums/More. Under "More" there's an "Analysis Board & Editor" - try that.

_IronButterfly_

I was wondering..is it proper to use the analysis board WHILE playing the game?  I have never used the analysis board before during that particular game, but have been told by other that they do, to analysis our game while being played.  Is this proper?  I often move the pieces on the main game board during a game and move them back, but wasn't aware I could use the analysis board also. Any feedback please?

Metastable

On this web site, you can use the analysis board for the "Online chess" (multiple days per move, also called turn-based chess). You can also look up openings in books.

But for "Live Chess", you are not not allowed to use the analysis board, - you can only use your own brain and nothing more.

There is a FAQ somewhere here that explains it all.

_IronButterfly_

Thanks alot, Metastable!  I wasn't even aware that we could study the game using books during the "online games".  Wow..all this time.  lol

I best read that FAQ section.  And to think I've been accused of "cheating" doing this very thing.   I reckon it isn't cheating then to study as much as we want, anyway we want, as long as it isn't a form of computer.  What about using Master games with same lines?  Hm...I best read that section!  Smile

Namssob
_IronButterfly_ wrote:

Thanks alot, Metastable!  I wasn't even aware that we could study the game using books during the "online games".  Wow..all this time.  lol

I best read that FAQ section.  And to think I've been accused of "cheating" doing this very thing.   I reckon it isn't cheating then to study as much as we want, anyway we want, as long as it isn't a form of computer.  What about using Master games with same lines?  Hm...I best read that section!  

_IronButterfly: What MetaStable says is correct. You are permitted to use the Analysis board during Online games.  But I don't think you can use anything at all other than your brain during Live chess.

What I was asking about wasn't for access to an Analysis board during Live chess. It was while reading a book!

Jordan_G - that WORKED!  Thanks.  Previously, I would simply enter all the moves one at a time in a free iPad/iPhone app then start following the book from that point.  But then when it needed to change, the books don't always show the previous moves before a specific starting position (or often, they mistakenly list 1. Nf6, when it's really move 22.)  So unless the game was a famous one that I could find on the internet, I couldn't follow along.  And if it WAS a famous game, I would still need to make each and every move in sequence before I could even start following the book starting point.

With the Analysis board you showed me, I can clear the board, arrange the pieces, and move them around at will.  Thanks!

Namssob

...and by the way, this is exactly why I mentioned in another thread about the e+Chess mobile app....it makes the move for you inside the app while you follow along with the book.  It's a fantastic tool, but the book list is too limited.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/echess-mobile-app

champ_weller
Metastable wrote:

On this web site, you can use the analysis board for the "Online chess" (multiple days per move, also called turn-based chess). You can also look up openings in books.

But for "Live Chess", you are not not allowed to use the analysis board, - you can only use your own brain and nothing more.

There is a FAQ somewhere here that explains it all.

Well isnt using the analysis board using your own brain to play through scenarios visually but i think what they are trying to get at is when you play in live chess you are simulating otb chess and your not allowed to bring and extra board to look at a position