Forums

If a 9 year old can become a Chess Master, then ...

Sort:
ringwraith10
bobbygoddin13 wrote:

This is very immpressive! One of the highest rated young people I know of :) I know a 2200 USCF rated eigth grader in Indiana.

is that kid sean vibbert?

dennis90

Yes everyone can be an Gm it's just the richt way of training , top gm igor Smirnov , hè is the best coach ever , hè have make his own 8 unic courses and free video Lesson , They are for any amateur any age , to became an gm hè explain eveything , and Also why you not need talent etc HUGE MORE HE is the #1 chess coach ever !!!!!!

dennis90

Viswanathan Anand

ReporterPeople have this misunderstanding about chess that, you know, you need some incredible mental talent and you don’t need to work really hard to get good at it.

Anand: Well, it is true that people are unfamiliar of what goes into efficient chess preparation.

I have a database of about 15 million games. So from this database, I decide what I am going to play and what my opponent is likely to choose.

You need to be familiar with what you are going to play, make sure you check everything, and you have to remember this.

Besides, you have to constantly train your skills. I mean chess players are famous for calculating 20/30 moves ahead. That is SKILL! If you don’t practice all the time you start making mistakes.

And also GM Igor smirnov say on his blog.

Hey, you are a talented person. Everything is simple for you. In my case it’s much more difficult”.

Do you think I born with a GM title? :) Of course not. Some time ago I was in the same situation as you: I tried to get better in chess, but didn’t know how to do it. There was a time, when I stuck without chess improvement for about 3-4 years (!!). I was training hard, but didn’t get any results. Heck, I even considered leaving chess. Do you still think that I am genius? :)

However, when I found and implemented the correct training methods, things got much better! I sped up my progress, won some tournaments and achieved the GM title.

I just want to show you that your chess progress depends mostly on your training (not on your “talent”).

Perhaps not everyone can be a world champion. Here you really need chess talent and favorable circumstances. However, everyone can reach at least 2300-2400 rating. It’s just a matter of a right training.

JMB2010

Samuel has finally reached IM! He got his third norm recently.  Plus his rating is only around 10 points away from 2500.

byronisthebest

I know a almost 2200 in my club about a 7th grader 

Rasta_Jay

He is a chess prodigy, broke alot of records and youngest ever GM in US

MickinMD
Musikamole wrote:

...maybe it's not to late for this 51 year old guy. The 9 year old boy didn't start to learn chess at birth, did he? And even if he did, I could still make Chess Master by age 60. happy.png

As a 66 year-old who would be thrilled to make 1800 OTB USCF, I hope you make it!

But remember that 9 year-old minds are much more able to learn new things than those of us on the wrong end of a half-century.

See my profile pic of me playing Chopin on a Steinway Concert Grand Piano  at the ACE Recital of the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University?  I started learning piano at age 51 and spent severao years being humiliated by the fact that most of my virtuoso teacher's 12 year-old student could play better than I ever will before my auditions put me in that recital.  The ACE Recital is the best of the adult program's students.

So yes, there's always hope for us but it's much harder and it takes putting in a lot of study and play time to reach master level, just as it does in piano: the typical high school student who gets admitted to the world-class Peabody Conservatory for piano, violin, clarinet, etc. has been studying four hours per day since the age of six.  Fortunately, the adult division just requires a checkbook or credit card!