Illegal Moves

thesexyknight

Quick question for those of you that have participated in tournament (unlike my sorry self). If a player makes an illegal move and lets go of the piece, what happens? Is there a time penalty, a forfeit, nothing, etc?

For instance....

 

theoreticalboy

They have to make a legal move with the piece they touched, right?  Which means in this instance, the new question is which piece would the player have to move with...

jedzz

The Touch Move Rule states that if a player touches one of his pieces, it must be moved, if it can do so legally. For this purpose, castling is considered a king move, so the castling must be taken back, and white must move the king to e2 or f1.

thesexyknight

So there's no penalty then? (aside from not being able to make a legitimate move)

Baldr

In most tournaments there will be a timer, and there will be someone (tournament director or his assistants) you can talk to.

I believe that the director would add some time to your clock, have him move his king (assuming he moved the king first, then the rook, when he attempted castling) and continue from there.

Quite honestly, if he's playing like that, he should be easy to beat no matter what.  :)

thesexyknight
Baldr wrote:

In most tournaments there will be a timer, and there will be someone (tournament director or his assistants) you can talk to.

I believe that the director would add some time to your clock, have him move his king (assuming he moved the king first, then the rook, when he attempted castling) and continue from there.

Quite honestly, if he's playing like that, he should be easy to beat no matter what.  :)


Lol, just trying to get a visual example of an illegal move. But what about this scenerio?

 

orangehonda

In one of my first tourneys we came to a roughly equal, tense position where my opponent had just one second left on his clock (with a 5 second delay).  Like a rookie I started to move fast too to try to get a win on time and in the scramble I touched my queen no noticing my king was in check -- she had no legal move.  My opponent immediately grabs the clock to stop it and make a claim (which was the right thing to do) and he got 2 minutes added onto his clock.  (I ended up losing).

The TD also has the option of subtracting time from the offending player.  If time is not an issue and it's a first offense, the TD has the likely option of giving no time penalty.

By the way, if you touch an enemy piece, you must capture it if you're able to.  If you simultaneously touch a friendly and enemy piece where one cannot take the other, then you're still free to make any move -- but I'd imagine repeated instances would be penalized as distracting/unsportsmanlike.

thesexyknight
propapanda wrote:

If your opponentmakes 3 illegal moves you can claim victory.


That seems like it's too many.... If that is infact the rule it should be changed to 2

ModernCalvin
propapanda wrote:

If your opponentmakes 3 illegal moves you can claim victory.


I've never heard this one before. If it's correct, then that's good to know. I do know there is a consequence for too many infractions, but I don't know if it's set to 3 total or a repeat of same offense 3 times, or something of that nature?

In general, posters have it right so far. If your opponent makes an illegal move, stop the clock and call the TD. He or she will check the score sheets to verify the move (there's a reason why you write them down), add 2 minutes to your clock, and the opponent will have to make a legal move with touch-move and touch-take rules enforced. I don't think I've seen or experiened an example where the TD subtracts 2 minutes from someone's clock before.

warcralft
orangehonda wrote:

In one of my first tourneys we came to a roughly equal, tense position where my opponent had just one second left on his clock (with a 5 second delay).  Like a rookie I started to move fast too to try to get a win on time and in the scramble I touched my queen no noticing my king was in check -- she had no legal move.  My opponent immediately grabs the clock to stop it and make a claim (which was the right thing to do) and he got 2 minutes added onto his clock.  (I ended up losing).

The TD also has the option of subtracting time from the offending player.  If time is not an issue and it's a first offense, the TD has the likely option of giving no time penalty.

By the way, if you touch an enemy piece, you must capture it if you're able to.  If you simultaneously touch a friendly and enemy piece where one cannot take the other, then you're still free to make any move -- but I'd imagine repeated instances would be penalized as distracting/unsportsmanlike.


Actually, according to your case of touching the queen and it has no legal move, you can move other pieces. Unless you have put down the queen on a new square, or else it is not considered as illegal move. It is pointed out in the FIDE law of chess.

msoewulff

in touch move if you touch a piece w/o an availible legal move then you are free to make any move. 

Dragec

This is extract from FIDE laws of chess, it pretty much explains everything, yes you lose after you make 3 illegal moves.

P.S. this rule is modified for blitz chess, you can claim a win if your opponent plays illegal move.

 

Article 7: Irregularities

...

7.4

a.

If during a game it is found that an illegal move, including failing to meet the requirements of the promotion of a pawn or capturing the opponent’s king, has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated. If the position immediately before the irregularity cannot be determined the game shall continue from the last identifiable position prior to the irregularity. The clocks shall be adjusted according to Article 6.13. The Articles 4.3 and 4.6 apply to the move replacing the illegal move. The game shall then continue from this re-instated position.

 

b.

After the action taken under Article 7.4.a, for the first two illegal moves by a player the arbiter shall give two minutes extra time to his opponent in each instance; for a third illegal move by the same player, the arbiter shall declare the game lost by this player. However, the game is drawn if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves.

Estragon

Dragec is correct and the FIDE rule is used by most federations.  Deducting time from the offender was an old rule, but it was found to be unfair and unworkable over time and the option was eliminated.

In 40 years of tournament chess, I've only seen two situations where the arbiter had to be called in due to an illegal move.  In the more recent case, two minutes was added to the opponent's time (as is the current rule).  The other happened in the '70s when TDs in the US had much more discretion and there was no rule on this situation.  There the piece touched had no legal move, the TD exacted no penalty, and the game continued.

bigpoison
propapanda wrote:

I've never made an illegal move before. Moreover, if my opponent makes an illegal move like orangehonda's case, and I was his opponent. I would not have claimed touch move or illegal move.

That's just retarded. I despise people who win like this way. But then again, they won't feel that they actually won the game afterwards anyways.


You despise people who play by the rules?

Loomis
warcralft wrote:
orangehonda wrote:

I touched my queen not noticing my king was in check -- she had no legal move.  My opponent immediately grabs the clock to stop it and make a claim (which was the right thing to do) and he got 2 minutes added onto his clock.


Actually, according to your case of touching the queen and it has no legal move, you can move other pieces. Unless you have put down the queen on a new square, or else it is not considered as illegal move.


Not only can you touch the queen without it being considered an illegal move, you can pick the queen up, put it on an illegal square, let go of it and put it back on its original square without having made an illegal move.

According to the FIDE laws a move is not an illegal move until it is completed -- and completing a move requires pressing the clock. If you recognize your own mistake before pressing the clock, there should be no illegal move penalty. Though maybe you could be penalized under the "annoying the opponent" rule. There the first offense likely gets a warning.

cj86yeah

today i played in a relatively casual 7 round swiss tournament with 15 mins per side for the whole game. it was the last round and i was matched against a person that i had deafeated once before with ease. However, i played an illegal move and she called the arbiter. the arbiter pointed out a new rule that whoever made an illegal move, even once, lost the game. is this true and if so, what do you think about it?