Forums

Is 1700 a good rating if I've played for 4 months?

speeduptheserver
TCSPlayer wrote:
I don’t buy it, a beginner cannot jump so quick. Beginner, who don’t have a reasonable playing background, will hang too many pieces in every game for a year at least. Your claim is another spam that could result in many others feel they are stupid. I’m already fast but this is unimaginable even by my standards.

However, you might be correct, if you are that fast, then in a year you should pass 2200 and the next year win the GM title.

Hopefully he'll remember us little people when he does platinum.png

Buck_shooter

dude thats a good rating ive had an account for a 13 months and my rating is 950 dude your rating is good dont worry about what other people say that is a good rating

Neuromanswer

Of course it's fast. I think this post is a brag. It would better if you bragged openly: "I just wanted to share my progress and how proud and excited I am to learn this game", etc. 

yuann
yeebruh21 wrote:

I joined chess.com in November last year, but only really started playing after Christmas. I quickly got better than many of my friends who used to beat me easily. Now, after 4 months and ~850 rapid games, I've reached a 1700 rapid rating. Is this considered fast? (btw I'm a high school junior)

Compared to me, ur a god, I'm only 1540 on rapid sad.png

little_guinea_pig

1700 in 4 months is very impressive, though I suppose it depends on how much chess study you do. If you're playing only a couple games a day, and doing a few tactics here and there, then it's absolutely incredible. If on the other hand you're eating, breathing, and sleeping chess, then I think that it would be strange if you didn't improve to a large degree (I got from 1000 to 1600 in one crazy month).

Keep up the improvement, I will say though that a lot of people find it much harder to take the next step from "strong intermediate" to "advanced/expert" than to merely improve from beginner ratings. So don't get discouraged if your rating stagnates sooner or later, as long as you keep working to improve I'm quite sure you'll be able to get 2000 or even 2200 without all that much trouble.

little_guinea_pig

Edit: I just saw that you've played 850 rapid games in the last 4 months. Wow! That's an incredible amount of effort that you've put in! And here I thought I was doing well with 150 rapid games in that timespan lol (though to be fair I also have almost 1000 blitz games since then.) I am very very impressed.

yeebruh21
little_guinea_pig wrote:

Edit: I just saw that you've played 850 rapid games in the last 4 months. Wow! That's an incredible amount of effort that you've put in! And here I thought I was doing well with 150 rapid games in that timespan lol (though to be fair I also have almost 1000 blitz games since then.) I am very very impressed.

Thank you! Admittedly, probably 150 of those games were ones I played with my brother lol. 

MohammadSANTN
Yes it is
ponz111

kudos!tongue.png

Arnaut10

I trust him and its amaizing. I also started in December but Im doing a little bit slower. If its fast 'impossible' progress it doesnt mean it will continue. We dont know, for example maybe I will never reach 1600 and this is my maximum. Try your best and good luck. :)

Neuromanswer

I started out in October, playing almost exclusively against bots. Before that, I hadn't played in 15 years. I knew how the pieces moved, except for en passant, pawn promotion, and I couldn't remember how to castle. In January, I joined this site to play humans. I'm hovering around 1150, and I'm actually quite proud of my progress. Discovering chess has been great for my mental health.

kingattacker3
speeduptheserver wrote:

Even if you've played 4 decades it's pretty damn impressive

Yup.  

CrusaderKing1

How are your simple high school class grades? The real life stuff. If you are good at chess but let other things fall, then it probably isn't worth it. The only people impressed by good chess players are other chess players.

Whir36

It usually takes 2 - 3 years to get to that level so yes its good. 

Lakkigunith
Wow! Just at 922 rating here.
harshalpatil2001

Yes it is considered as very very fast improvement. You have to keep working hard on chess happy.png 
I think you were underrated when you started IG. It took me 7-8 years to reach 2500 with full dedication of chess