Forums

Is it possible(likely) to reach a rating of 1800 by teaching himself?

Sort:
tokul

Chess.com is a perfect learning place with endless learning sources. But can one have 1800+ with these sources without a personal coach?

browni3141

I have reached 1800 online on another site just by playing a lot of games. I also like to look through master games, but I don't really study them heavily.

When I started online on that site, I got a provisional rating of around 1550, it only took me about 6 months get to 1830.

It is definitely possible, and shouldn't be too hard if you really want to commit yourself to it. Just attack the problem from as many angles as possible.

goldendog

Just playing can do a lot for your game. That and post-mortems in otb can certainly get you above 1800--no books even.

Fine said he made master this way. I imagine he studied master games though.

mnag

Yes, I know many who have and in fact have gone much higher.

tokul
browni3141 wrote:

I have reached 1800 online on another site just by playing a lot of games. I also like to look through master games, but I don't really study them heavily.

When I started online on that site, I got a provisional rating of around 1550, it only took me about 6 months get to 1830.

It is definitely possible, and shouldn't be too hard if you really want to commit yourself to it. Just attack the problem from as many angles as possible.

Playing games and afterwards analyzing them? There has to be a methodology to improve. By only playing games I feel like I will keep making the same moves for my entire life. How do you give yourself feedback on your games? Computer analysis maybe?

Thanks for the answer!

Michael-G

You will be surprised how easy it is to get to 1800.Just understanding some simple principles , play simple moves and just calculate correctly till 3 moves is enough to get 2000(like me) Laughing

tokul
goldendog wrote:

Just playing can do a lot for your game. That and post-mortems in otb can certainly get you above 1800--no books even.

Fine said he made master this way. I imagine he studied master games though.

I saw plenty of player profiles which played above 1000 games and still have a rating of 1300, the highest rating in past being around 1400. It certainly proves that there is a way to study and analyze your games which everyone does not know. Can you recommend any sources or lessons on this website that teaches how to do that, whatever that technique is?

Thanks for the answer

tokul
Michael-G wrote:

You will be surprised how easy it is to get to 1800.Just understanding some simple principles , play simple moves and just calculate correctly till 3 moves is enough to get 2000(like me) 

I definitely want to learn those "simple principles" =)

Michael-G

We can play training games.If you want challenge me.

tokul
Michael-G wrote:

We can play training games.If you want challenge me.

That would be great! Thank you

heinzie

Getting a higher chess rating is easy! No work involved.

tokul
heinzie wrote:

Getting a higher chess rating is easy! No work involved.

Thanks for the advice!

tokul
Thinkthank wrote:

By teaching yourself you can improve your game without limits. You need just enthusiasm and effort to reach your goal. Of course getting help is much more easy but in the end it all belongs to you. I want to remind you a Turkish GM Suat Atalık. For many years he was the only GM chess player in Turkey. He reached the GM level by his efforts and it was in 90s. He got this succes when computers, internet and chess programs werent so developed. Like science, chess is also have two faces. One is theory and the other is practice. You should read books especially for strategy of the game to improve your theory and by practicing you will develope your tactical side. Sounds easy? One last advice, do not regard the ratings too much. Playing chess by itself a goal. Its again like science or art. Einstein surely was happy to find a revolutinary theory about physics but As he mentioned it straight, he was more happy to spent his time for science. 

The problem with books is that its hard to be sure if you have the appropriate books for your level. Random knowledge leads to confusion rather than improvement as far as I experienced. Ratings are unfortunately the major motivation for most players. I am trying to get over that though =) Thanks for the advice it gives my an idea what to focus on priorly!

Michael-G
Thinkthank wrote:

By teaching yourself you can improve your game without limits. You need just enthusiasm and effort to reach your goal. Of course getting help is much more easy but in the end it all belongs to you. I want to remind you a Turkish GM Suat Atalık. For many years he was the only GM chess player in Turkey. He reached the GM level by his efforts and it was in 90s. He got this succes when computers, internet and chess programs werent so developed. Like science, chess is also have two faces. One is theory and the other is practice. You should read books especially for strategy of the game to improve your theory and by practicing you will develope your tactical side. Sounds easy? One last advice, do not regard the ratings too much. Playing chess by itself a goal. Its again like science or art. Einstein surely was happy to find a revolutinary theory about physics but As he mentioned it straight, he was more happy to spent his time for science. 

You are wrong , actually it is very difficult to study chess without someone pointing out the right direction.Improvement will be very slow.It is like you are in a huge forest.If you start searching you will find your way out, still you will miss a lot of places you should see but if someone knows the forest he will help you find your way out sooner and he will guide you to see you what deserves to be seen. 

baddogno

I saw IM's Danny Rensch and David Pruess discuss this topic some months back on Chess.com TV.  It was their belief that by playing and taking advantage of the site resources such as videos, TacticsTrainer, and ChessMentor, almost anyone could get up to around 2200 without a coach.  At that point you really need someone who can point out subtleties in your approach to playing that you may not be aware of.  Gave me hope, and I hope it does you too.

heatherrenee

My husband plays at 2000 or higher most the time just merely through playing online. He began a few years ago and now ranks in tournaments. Im now trying to learn so i can at least hold him to a draw one day lol. So its very much possible. Play as much as you can and try the tactics trainer. It really seems to be helping me.

Michael-G
baddogno wrote:

I saw IM's Danny Rensch and David Pruess discuss this topic some months back on Chess.com TV.  It was their belief that by playing and taking advantage of the site resources such as videos, TacticsTrainer, and ChessMentor, almost anyone could get up to around 2200 without a coach.  At that point you really need someone who can point out subtleties in your approach to playing that you may not be aware of.  Gave me hope, and I hope it does you too.

The 2 guys you are mentioning are not the most objective in the world.They "work" on this site so  obviously is at their best interest to convince you that this site can make you better chessplayer , better man , better father and better anything.What do you expect them to say?

heatherrenee

Maybe so however I have witnessed someone do it myself with only playing and watching games. So it is entirely possible. My husband is ranked as one of the top hundred players in our state after two tournaments only...

tokul
heatherrenee wrote:

Maybe so however I have witnessed someone do it myself with only playing and watching games. So it is entirely possible. My husband is ranked as one of the top hundred players in our state after two tournaments only...

It is inspirational. Thank you!

tokul
Thinkthank wrote:

There are good books in Turkish and foreign languages. There are mainly 3 parts of this game as you know, opening, middle and end game. To study by yourself, I advice you to start with openings. Try to choose the theoritical books which are especially written for openings. There are also books mentioning all three parts of the game together but as you said studying all at the same time can be confusing. We all know improvement in chess first starts with the understanding the opening ideas so limit your studying field and focuse on that in my opinion. 

Actually I am trying to work on that. I am trying to do various things at the same time littly by little. Tactics, endgame, openings. The good thing is I know I have solid problems in every section so thats also motivational=) Thanks for the advice again!