x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 1400 rated player?

Of course it is possible. Let's assume that both players played for a long time already and their rating stopped at 1300 and 1400. A higher rating only says that the better player has a higher probability to win. So if they would play a lot of games the 1400 player would win more games.

But a high probability to win also implies that the improbable can occur like a draw or a loss.

Another example:

If you look at the World Cup you can see that many favorites got kicked out very earlier e.g. Nakamura. Nakamura is still a good player and he would win most of the games against his weaker opponent. But there will be games where he loose it's just less likely but not impossible.

I played this when I was some 1379 in elo against a 1456

Although far from ppeerrffeecctt, I beat him in brilliant fashion.

I have frankly beaten players even upto 200 elo points higher. Not consistantly of course, but I have occassionally in Rapid.

yes

at least it is POSSIBLE

yes if magnus carlsen quit chess.com and he vs somebody with that rating

irahranchad wrote:

I played this when I was some 1379 in elo against a 1456

Although far from ppeerrffeecctt, I beat him in brilliant fashion.

hahahaha I remember when I came for the first time in the chess club, I played a really strong player with the black pieces and he played the exact same line. 

After Ng5 I thought to myself: What a cheap trick! I know want you want to do! BAM d5! threat neutralized. Then ed and then I took back with the knight and I thought, I had a decent position.

Then he sacrificed the knight on f7 and I was just sitting there with my mouth open. I got destoyed in that game.

But seriously as a beginner to come up with Na5 instead of Nd5: is nearly impossible unless you saw that line before.

maybe

maybe

But of course! About 46.8757093%

... Or 47% chance.

Online Now