Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
DjonniDerevnja
triggerlips wrote:
DjonniDerevnja wrote:

Maybe the chance for a 1200 playing that precise is on in a million, but for a strong 1300 like me, that 99,66 Caps-score /94% best move was exactly one in 4795 . I have some performances at ca 98 and a lot above 90. I also have a lot below 50.  I will very soon start my chess.com blitzgame nr 4796, and I am very happy if I score above 85.

If I remember correctly score above 96 never happens for me in games with many moves.

How can you be an extremely strong 1300    Last week you lost 15 games in a row against 1300 rated players, and your bullet rating is 900.  You do seem quite good at openings though, you must blunder alot

Extremely strong 1300 is long chess, not blitz, and certainly not bullet. When the clock runs too fast I often blunder or lose on time. Doesn't have time to both look at my opponents plans and my own. I was at the Fide 1400s last year, and think I belong up there. My Daily rating is  at around 1750.

DjonniDerevnja
DjonniDerevnja wrote:
triggerlips wrote:
DjonniDerevnja wrote:

Maybe the chance for a 1200 playing that precise is on in a million, but for a strong 1300 like me, that 99,66 Caps-score /94% best move was exactly one in 4795 . I have some performances at ca 98 and a lot above 90. I also have a lot below 50.  I will very soon start my chess.com blitzgame nr 4796, and I am very happy if I score above 85.

If I remember correctly score above 96 never happens for me in games with many moves.

How can you be an extremely strong 1300    Last week you lost 15 games in a row against 1300 rated players, and your bullet rating is 900.  You do seem quite good at openings though, you must blunder alot

Extremely strong 1300 is long chess, not blitz, and certainly not bullet. When the clock runs too fast I often blunder or lose on time. Doesn't have time to both look at my opponents plans and my own. I was at the Fide 1400s last year, and think I belong up there. My Daily rating is  at around 1750. "Extremely strong " is a slightly humouristic  phrasing, pun intended against they who underestimates us 1300s.

camter

I am a pun addict. I missed your one. No insult intended, but I would love to steal it when you explain it.

Squarely
Slim
DjonniDerevnja
ArcherQW wrote:

How is it even possible, just pretend your 1300, your not going to get matched against a 2700.

You are probably right. Sometimes I play open tournaments like Oslo Chess Festival . If I win my first three games there is a good chance for getting paired with a strong GM, but winning those three first games, against players very much stronger than me is not very likely to happen. Last year I was matched against a 2000 in round one, played terrible and lost. I ended up playing the rest of my games against the lower part of the bottom half of the field. The strongest GM last year was between 2600 and 2700. Not 2700. I am not the 1300 thats going to outplay the  blundering 2700. I leave that to Livia Lindstad or some other child-prodigies. She is younger , stronger and smarter, and at this time only 1184 Fide. By the time she get to the 1300s she will be several months older and very, very strong. 

The chances for a blunder from a 2700 increases against very low rated players because when the board is drawish (getting anything better against Livia is very, very difficult) the 2700 doesn't necessarily understand it, because he is programmed to win against the 1300, and then he might push to hard, without having enough advantage, and the player who risk to much against Livia will be punished brutally.

ProfessorPownall

A FIDE check shows Livia Lindstad rating for All Under 12 as a whopping 6707th place.

For girls under 12 she's 1280th.

In a few months time she'll be very, very strong? Quite delusional. You must be a relative ?

Getting anything better than a drawish position by a 2700 against her is difficult, the 2700 will be punished brutally? OK Papa

camter

To the original question, there is a chance as it is possible.

DjonniDerevnja
ProfessorPownall wrote:

A FIDE check shows Livia Lindstad rating for All Under 12 as a whopping 6707th place.

For girls under 12 she's 1280th.

In a few months time she'll be very, very strong? Quite delusional. You must be a relative ?

Getting anything better than a drawish position by a 2700 against her is difficult, the 2700 will be punished brutally? OK Papa

It sounds wild right? But the strongest kids are very strong, and their rating growth are lagging far, far behind their real strength. She is the reigning under ten years old  girl Norwegian Champion.  I played against her last autumn, and was very surprised about how mature her play was.  There are many small boys and girls coming up with incredible strength.  I am not a relative, but member of the same club. In our club adult players all the time get "clubbed  down" by kids. The first years they are unrated or low rated, but some of them keeps up hard work and gets themselves titles. 

I am not sure if Livia wants to put in the hard work thats needed, but she definitively is among the best talents I ever met. Already now, I can tell for sure that any player that can beat her, regardless of they being masters or not, have good reasons to be proud. Here she is playing a double match. Her partner is the best chess player ever, and proudly enjoy playing on her team.null

triggerlips

Nice pic

Mahmud90001

If you play in the park and sun is facing the GM...?

DjonniDerevnja
triggerlips wrote:

Nice pic

Thanks happy.png

ProfessorPownall

It sounds wild right? But the strongest kids are very strong, and their rating growth are lagging far, far behind their real strength. She is the reigning under ten years old  girl Norwegian Champion.

Strongest ? What makes one "stronger" than another? I suspect you are simply expressing a home town bias. 

Far, far behind ??? like 100-200 points and she'll be really "strong"? Please be real here. 1st. She is nearly 12. Reigning under 10 champ...only if there has been no tournament since she played. 2nd. There are 6700+ other under 12 years of age rated HIGHER than her. Are all these kids on the same path to "greatness"? Their learning curves will soon result in very, very strong players?

Her rating is 1100+ with no recent activity, a few games mostly against other juniors. She's a kid who shows excitement and potential for the game.. You can never know who will continue on. Let the kids have fun, you're placing way too high expectations on a 12 year old.

ejkilroy

A true 1300 wouldn't have a chance understanding an engine let alone playing against someone of the same strength...  

DjonniDerevnja
ProfessorPownall wrote:

It sounds wild right? But the strongest kids are very strong, and their rating growth are lagging far, far behind their real strength. She is the reigning under ten years old  girl Norwegian Champion.

Strongest ? What makes one "stronger" than another? I suspect you are simply expressing a home town bias. 

Far, far behind ??? like 100-200 points and she'll be really "strong"? Please be real here. 1st. She is nearly 12. Reigning under 10 champ...only if there has been no tournament since she played. 2nd. There are 6700+ other under 12 years of age rated HIGHER than her. Are all these kids on the same path to "greatness"? Their learning curves will soon result in very, very strong players?

Her rating is 1100+ with no recent activity, a few games mostly against other juniors. She's a kid who shows excitement and potential for the game.. You can never know who will continue on. Let the kids have fun, you're placing way too high expectations on a 12 year old.

If she will continue or not, and how hard she will go for it is the big question. She didn't play our club championship this winter because of handballtraining.  If you think I am hometownbiazed , then you are analyzing well.  I have played her twice, and was impressed by her play. Thats the fact that I build my superstrenght illusion on. I am no GM , so I can't really evaluate har play very precise.   Those juniors are all very strong and underrated. It is close to impossible to gain any rating points against them. If anybody wants to gain rating its better to play big open tournaments against mostly adults in Denmark and Sweden.  About the strength of the kids. Go to Extracon Open in Denmark. Ask people if their afraid of small Norwegian kids. They probably will tell you about small monsters.

I enjoy meeting the small monsters, and feel I am being a part of chess history in the making. But I know that many of them quit . I hope they carry on.

Livia´s Norwegian small girl championship is a very strong achievement. Winning a tournament like that shows consistent strength. She won ahead of Amelia Nordquelle, which by her father is characterized as exactly the same talent as her brother Daniel. Daniel played for The Norwegian Gnomes in Pro Chess League and was able to draw GM Baduur Jobava. Daniel  (14 years old?) is now club champion in the master class for the second time. Amelia won my group in the club championship and jumped to ca 1550 Fide. I evaluate Amelia and Livia is ca the same talent. Livia is very good positional, and Amelia is extremely good at calculating. Amelia can never become the 1300 to beat a GM, because she has eaten to much rating points. Livia and Hy Chang Vo is the most underrated chess players I ever met. Amelia was very underrated last autumn too, but now the rating is somewhat closing in.

Livia, Amelia, Hy and many other strong kids has started early enough and has the talents needed to become GM, but most of the super kids quit chess or doesn't do the enormous amount of training needed to get there.

DjonniDerevnja
[COMMENT DELETED]
greenibex

As my uncle used to say

You need to wash the dirty.dishes.before.u can expect to see dr appointment tomorrow

torrubirubi

There is the story of Nimzovic losing against an amateur and getting completely crazy about this...

camter

He stood on the table and abused the commitee.

No wonder he was called Stormy Petrel!

camter

BTW, how come this trivial subject has over 5000 posts?

But, I admit I am contributing from time to time. Must have a lot of off-topic posts!

Skyandcaled
I ounce beat a 2500 player, but he said he was distracted and beat me five more times in a row.
So I guess it is possible.