Forums

Making money out of chess?

Sort:
QueenTakesKnightOOPS

Its easy.

Start up am Internet Chess site, call it mychess.com, charge fees for silver gold & platinum membership

Sit back & become rich!

VLaurenT
Krestez wrote:

This might have been posted before but anyway...

Is there anyway you can make money out of chess? Except becoming super strong, like GM level and playing in strong tournaments, earning good money. I am not very positive about me becoming this strong since I started taking chess seriously 1 year ago, at the age of 15 (pretty late?). It's not impossible, but I'm trying to be realistic. Chess is one of my passions and it would be awesome to make a living out of it. I know that teaching is an option if you become a fairly strong player (NM/FM). What other options can you think of?

It's very difficult. If you want a stable income, you may want to try and find a job at your national chess federation.

Better to take chess as a hobby though. It's much more enjoyable. Smile

maheshroks

become an employee at chess.com

Cool

VLaurenT
sapientdust wrote:

I suspect there's money to be made in chess software and chess-related services, because there are many serious chess players who are willing to pay money regularly, and there is basically very little quality software and services out there. There is no innovation happening among the big guys -- not at chess.com, not at chessbase, and not at ICC -- and the few small outfits and efforts that are trying new things don't have the resources to go all in, or they get part of it correct but fail on some crucial aspect such as usability or marketing, or they don't listen to their customers and what they really want, or they release and then appear to just stagnate, as if they decided it was a failed experiment that isn't worth putting any more serious effort into (yes, I'm looking at all you iOS and Android apps/services that I've tried).

I'm not so sure. There is a wealth of very high quality resources available to both the amateur and pro players.

I'm an amateur ready to pay for good chess services, but there's not much I can think of which is not already available (and at a very cheap price).

michales
QueenTakesKnightOOPS wrote:

Its easy.

Start up am Internet Chess site, call it mychess.com, charge fees for silver gold & platinum membership

Sit back & become rich!

Lol, good one.

ozzie_c_cobblepot
Krestez wrote:

This might have been posted before but anyway...

Is there anyway you can make money out of chess? Except becoming super strong, like GM level and playing in strong tournaments, earning good money. I am not very positive about me becoming this strong since I started taking chess seriously 1 year ago, at the age of 15 (pretty late?). It's not impossible, but I'm trying to be realistic. Chess is one of my passions and it would be awesome to make a living out of it. I know that teaching is an option if you become a fairly strong player (NM/FM). What other options can you think of?

I learned how to play at 14. Don't let anybody tell you your age will hold you back.