Scottrf
roshan_roshan wrote:

iam in india how to come

Please be relevant, helpful & nice!

Plane, train or automobile.

woton
gambit-man wrote:
MrEdCollins wrote:

Note that there is already some discussion on this tournament here.

Tournament Policies:-

"NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES OF ANY KIND" which will be a FIDE rule from 1st July 2014 anyway...

"If a player’s cell phone goes off during the round, that player will lose ten minutes off his/her clock.  If it occurs again, the game will be forfeited."

How can a player's cellphone go off if it is not in the playing room? And the FIDE rule is that the cellphone going off is an immediate forfeit.

The tournament policy does not ban electronic devices from the playing room, the policy probibits their use.

As the tournament is being played in the US, USCF rules apply.  The tournament policy is consistent with the current USCF rule.

gambit-man
woton wrote:
gambit-man wrote:
MrEdCollins wrote:

Note that there is already some discussion on this tournament here.

Tournament Policies:-

"NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES OF ANY KIND" which will be a FIDE rule from 1st July 2014 anyway...

"If a player’s cell phone goes off during the round, that player will lose ten minutes off his/her clock.  If it occurs again, the game will be forfeited."

How can a player's cellphone go off if it is not in the playing room? And the FIDE rule is that the cellphone going off is an immediate forfeit.

The tournament policy does not ban electronic devices from the playing room, the policy probibits their use.

As the tournament is being played in the US, USCF rules apply.  The tournament policy is consistent with the current USCF rule.

It is a FIDE rated tournament, FIDE rules will apply.

USCF rules will change on July 1st 2014 when the FIDE rule kicks in.

But you still miss my point, the tournament rules contradict each other, not just the FIDE rule.

There are many over here in Scotland who are looking to petition FIDE about this rule change, which has no doubt had to be imposed in the wake of Borislav Ivanov and Jens Kotainy. We think the rule change is unworkable. We were told that cellphones must be left in the car when playing weekend tournaments, but what about those who travel by public transport? Leave their cellphone on the train?

SmyslovFan

The rules are silly and, if enforced, break FIDE rules in several places. So, you can't play the French Exchange for fear someone may think you're trying to draw the game? 

And, you can't repeat the position if you're low on time? 

Those are ridiculous rules that show a very poor understanding of chess. 

woton

@gambit-man

I don't think that the tournament rules contradict one another.  The heading is NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES OF ANY KIND, however, the details define this as using an electronic device, not bringing one into the playing room.  Thus, the penalty if a cell phone activates. 

The USCF rule may not change.  There have always been minor differences between FIDE and USCF rules.  In fact, I played in a tournament where the top section was FIDE rated, but was played in accordance with USCF rules (I don't think that FIDE cares as long as they get their rating fee). 

As an example of the differences, the current FIDE penalty for cell phone activation is forfiture.  The current USCF penalty is at the discretion of either the TD or the organizers.

TheMushroomDealer

YOU can play French Exchange but you CAN'T play it just for exhanging pieces quickly for a draw.

SmyslovFan

Also, regarding cell-phones, it implies that the tournament director may make exceptions if asked. In such a case, having it go off would result in the penalties listed.

Lou-for-you

It is enough to shut down your phone. It should not ring and you cannot make any calls without ok of the referee.

reboc

My opinion - this tournament won't happen because they won't get enough paying participants.

Scottrf

"If the two players play an intentionally lifeless opening with the object of steering the game towards a dead draw as soon as possible. For example, playing the exchange French defense and immediately trading off all the pieces is not acceptable."

Yeah, this is a new low in the idiocy of anti-draw rules.

Irontiger
Scottrf wrote:

"If the two players play an intentionally lifeless opening with the object of steering the game towards a dead draw as soon as possible. For example, playing the exchange French defense and immediately trading off all the pieces is not acceptable."

Yeah, this is a new low in the idiocy of anti-draw rules.

Add :

If there is a situation where the two players believe that a draw must be agreed to, thenonly the player who wishes to accept the draw may stop clocks and request the assistance of the tournament director. The TD will then objectively decide whether or not it is appropriate to agree to a draw or whether the players must play on until move 30.

and more importantly :

Irregular pairings may be used if the Chief Tournament Director believes they are warranted.

...and you know the only objective reason for those rules is to grant the TD power to rig the results.

I'm not going, even if I was offered the registration and the plane.

Scottrf

Yeah perhaps along with your registration fee you can buy 'easy pairing mode'.

Irontiger
Lou-for-you wrote:

It is enough to shut down your phone. It should not ring and you cannot make any calls without ok of the referee.

Holy ****. I missed that one in the regulations.

No player may use or wear any type of electronic or digital device, phone, blackberry, PDA, computer, ear-piece, headset, communications device, microphone, speaker or the like while playing without the expressed permission of a TD (doctors on call included). 

Said otherwise, the TD can allow you to make a call, at his discretion.

The cost of ten minutes of Houdini will be given in leaflets at the tournament entrance, I guess.

Scottrf

Entry: $1000

Draw anytime: £500

Easy Pairings: $750

Phone Call/minute: $200

Irontiger
Scottrf wrote:

Entry: $1000

Draw anytime: £500

Easy Pairings: $750

Phone Call/minute: $200

Do not forget the tariff for expulsing a player of your choice on the basis of "drawish behaviour".

Scottrf

A symmetrical pawn recapture?

Or perhaps the way you walk around the hall. "He had a drawish look to him."

Irontiger

Well, maybe the sections will be played at their real level, as no serious player will show up.

gambit-man
woton wrote:

@gambit-man

I don't think that the tournament rules contradict one another.  The heading is NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES OF ANY KIND, however, the details define this as using an electronic device, not bringing one into the playing room.  Thus, the penalty if a cell phone activates. 

The USCF rule may not change.  There have always been minor differences between FIDE and USCF rules.  In fact, I played in a tournament where the top section was FIDE rated, but was played in accordance with USCF rules (I don't think that FIDE cares as long as they get their rating fee). 

As an example of the differences, the current FIDE penalty for cell phone activation is forfiture.  The current USCF penalty is at the discretion of either the TD or the organizers.

So, the USCF pick and choose which of the FIDE rules they adopt?

ashikuzzaman

What are you guys going to gain by not playing (if we forget about the entry fee part for a moment)? What is bothering you? The rules? So its better to not have the tournament because you wont play? Where is your love for the development of the game of chess?

Can you bring a a tournament like to the chess world this by the way? Or may be one of your friends can with all the rules that you like, and I will like and Tom & Jerry will like? If not, consider its easy to criticize from outside of your living room, how this Ashley guy is making the game of chess a joke! Yah, its easy, but try to do it yourself and you will see how easy it is!!

I dont say we can't criticize those rules or decisions. But despite some drawbacks (if you find), if you love the game of chess, we should support any high stake initiative like this. If not by participating then by word of mouth.