Forums

Rematching

Sort:
watmel1

Is anybody else tired of people not rematching after one victory, especially after they play white or a time victory? My brother tells me that at levels 1400 and on people usually be fair and rematch but at the lower level I'm currently at, it seems nobody ever rematches after close victories, or maybe I'm crazy.

GreenLeaf14

they may have started another game by then so that may be the reason they declined...it happened to me sometimes.the annoying is when they win and they ask for rematch thinking they can boost  their rating....it's like saying "Lets have another easy win" although there are players who liked the game and just want a remtch...

watmel1

Maybe, but what about when they just dont answer and leave the game when it says so and so has left the chat

CaptJackAubrey

I agree with Greenleaf, I have had times when someone whips me and then immediately requests a rematch. I am not going to be someone's whipping boy to boost their rating! LOL. Unfortunately watmel, there is not a lot of etiquette in online chess.

Under normal circumstances if I am challenged and I don't wish to rematch oor I need to get offline I will tell the person.

Kens_Mom

I don't think they're necessarily being rude when they don't accept a rematch.  I often decline rematch offers because I like to play against a different individual every game in order to become exposed to a wider range of players.  Same usually goes for challenge offers I receive from members that I have already played during the same hour.

Lagomorph

Not at all. i generally get offered a rematch after i have beaten a stronger opponent. hell I want to get myself a drink, have a smoke, whatever.

There is no reason I should accept an imediate rematch.

Vivinski

You need to realize that people here don't owe you anything, I never rematch

Ziryab

I rarely ask for a rematch, and frequently ignore such requests. If there was any noticeable lag, rudeness, foul play, or clear absence of skill on the other end, I will deliberately refuse (usually in silence). Most of the time, I have already moved on to another game, or back to work, or the slots on Facebook when my former opponent sends the request. In such cases, I may not be aware that I declined a rematch.

CaptJackAubrey
GreenLeaf14 wrote:

they may have started another game by then so that may be the reason they declined...it happened to me sometimes.the annoying is when they win and they ask for rematch thinking they can boost  their rating....it's like saying "Lets have another easy win" although there are players who liked the game and just want a remtch...

I have had this happen twice lately. I lost the game and the flag had barely appeared announcing the winner and my opponent had already clicked 'rematch'. I agree with Greenleaf, situ's like this seem to me to be a case of the opponent trying to pick another quick win. Plus, it seems kind of odd for the winner to request a rematch. Generally speaking, it seems to me, a rematch is for the loser to have a chance to redeem themself.

Scottrf
watmel1 wrote:

Is anybody else tired of people not rematching after one victory, especially after they play white or a time victory? My brother tells me that at levels 1400 and on people usually be fair and rematch but at the lower level I'm currently at, it seems nobody ever rematches after close victories, or maybe I'm crazy.

Please explain?

Ziryab

I just refused a rematch because the pain in my shoulder was too much after one 3 0 game. Switching from the touchpad to the mouse helped yesterday, and maybe it will help today.

watmel1

@Scottrf i mean when people play white, their chances of winning is at worst 65% so I think the fair thing to do is let the other play white, sometimes if I barely win as white i dont want to rematch but i play fair and accept.

watmel1

TO EVERYBODY "By "One Victory" i meant the OPPONENTS victory!!! They Just run off because they know that they will have a hard time beating you again and want to keep their precious points up... sorry for the confusion

Scottrf
watmel1 wrote:

@Scottrf i mean when people play white, their chances of winning is at worst 65% so I think the fair thing to do is let the other play white, sometimes if I barely win as white i dont want to rematch but i play fair and accept.

Lol.

It evens out over time. I don't rematch, but that means I also don't rematch after playing black. There's nothing unfair.

I think you need to get over this theory that people are scared of playing you again. That's not the case. People have a number of reasons to not want to play again, and don't owe you another game.

Kens_Mom
watmel1 wrote:

when people play white, their chances of winning is at worst 65%

Bro, I don't think this is true.

ClavierCavalier

I like to offer rematches, even if it wasn't really a contest.  People can make blunders and end up looking like a fool.  I played recently against an equally rated opponent where they dropped a piece 3 turns in a row.  Then there was the time I blocked a check with a knight and then realized the knight wasn't defended...

There is also the fact that people will play white and black differently.

I think it's worse when someone laughs or trash talks you after winning and then declines a rematch.  I see it as "I got lucky, and, after that smack talk, I don't want to look like a fool."

CaptJackAubrey

What about when you have a totally winning position over someone and there is nothing they can do...but lose. Instead of resigning they will chat "well, what are you waiting for?" or "what is taking so long?"

ClavierCavalier
CaptJackAubrey wrote:

What about when you have a totally winning position over someone and there is nothing they can do...but lose. Instead of resigning they will chat "well, what are you waiting for?" or "what is taking so long?"

Yeah.  I hate it when I have a winning position and then they start chatting about random stuff.  How is dropping your queen an invitation to chat?  Why are you suddenly asking me what state I'm from?  One time this European guy started ranting about American politics and all of these conspiracy theories.

watmel1

sorry the chances of winning as white with a standard opening is at worst 40% and the chances of tieing is 25% i confused myself on that one

watmel1
ClavierCavalier wrote"

Yeah.  I hate it when I have a winning position and then they start chatting about random stuff.  How is dropping your queen an invitation to chat?  Why are you suddenly asking me what state I'm from?  One time this European guy started ranting about American politics and all of these conspiracy theories.

That's never happened to me but people in a winning position have waited 5 minutes for the clock to run down to 1 second then checkmate me, thats annoying