Forums

Does Anyone Really Use Scholars Mate?

Sort:
super_laggy7

tygxc

Here is better play
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1971485

super_laggy7

Here is a bad example of Scholars Mate, i want to know because I recently learnt it and i want to know if I should use it or not.

aarongull

Its a solid choice to avoid known lines of chess theory. The slight advantage black gets from e4 e5 Qh5 can get tricky beyond scholars mate. Look up IM Miodrag Perunovic on youtube.

Lord_Phan
super_laggy7 wrote:

Here is a bad example of Scholars Mate, i want to know because I recently learnt it and i want to know if I should use it or not.

At your level it will probably work from time to time. Objectively it puts you in a bad position and 99% of players at the 1000 level or higher will easily refute it. I'm leaving 1% for really tired, highly on tilt or drunk players.

Lord_Phan

If you want to learn an opening that will dominate at your level and probably help you rise up, learn the Fried Liver attack. It gets defeated at higher levels but it is quite deadly at your level and even into the early 1000's. My son has gone from 200 to the 700's since February and he has racked up some perfect 100% accuracy games using the Fried Liver.

Scholar's mate is good for impressing your relatives that don't play chess when you challenge you to a game. They get amazed when you defeat them in 4 moves. Beware though if one of them is secretly a good player because the attempt will put you at a disadvantage fast.

0208Atharva

That's the first tactic I learned, and it worked even on 800 players

dokerbohm

i consider it a rude way to play against beginners and newbies --yes it may be legal -- but it shows bad manners to make a game so short as to not let the other person have a chance to set pieces ---- rude rude rude and if you really need the points that bad i guess fair game just play me once with it and never again

GabeMiami10

I faced it against a 1920 in bullet 2 days ago

The_GeckoWZ

My friend who I converted into chess went through a period of trying scholars mate every game. At the same time he went on a massive losing streak. Sometimes it works for bullet and it can help in bullet as the opponent has to spend time making sure it dosent work (unless they, like me have prep for early queen attacks) so it's a cheese strategy for bullet, but obsolete for other time controls