Forums

Some questions regarding Arena 3.0

Sort:
Chess4001

I just downloaded Arena 3.0 and Houdini 1.5 for it. I figured out a few things but there are still others that I am clueless on. 

How do you get the engine to spit out the value of a position (like numbers that represent pawn values and positive and negative signs to represent white or black)?

How do you get the engine to spit out the top 3 moves?

How do you make a game that you just simply play yourself? I want to save a game in PGN form but I am always pitted against the engine itself.

EscherehcsE

"How do you get the engine to spit out the value of a position (like numbers that represent pawn values and positive and negative signs to represent white or black)?"

Manual analysis - Easiest way is to just click on the "Analyze" button located on the Navigation Bar.

"How do you get the engine to spit out the top 3 moves?"

You need to activate the "Multi PV Mode". Right-click your mouse in the Engine Search Output window, click on "Multi PV Mode", then pick how many lines you want.

"How do you make a game that you just simply play yourself? I want to save a game in PGN form but I am always pitted against the engine itself."

Click on the Edit button on the Navigation bar, and you'll be able to move for both sides.

Chess4001

ty

iliketosneeze

how did u download houdini 1.5 for it??? i got arena 3.0 but i dont have houdinin on it :O

EscherehcsE

You can get Houdini 1.5a here. The link is small, but it's there.

http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm

You'll have to copy the file into the Arena engines folder and unzip it, then follow the Arena instructions for installing a UCI engine.

iliketosneeze

ticcherr

hey dis is gud i cudnt figure out how to get arena to work properly

iliketosneeze

It's pretty complicated at first but you'll get the hang of it while u use it