Forums

the chess hustler beater

Sort:
konhidras

Im glad to see a mild mannered/ humble chess guy who happen to be a chess columnist beat  trash talking chess hustlers of washington park.  Cecil Rosner is the name. Well i wished we had someone like that beating hustlers in our parks. :)

IpswichMatt

Is there a link where we can see more about this?

kleelof

I tried playing at a place like this in San Francisco. Those guys rely on talking trash to win. It is part of their tactic. The best way to deal with it is to talk bigger trash back at them. 

konhidras

its on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFC8xN_dF0

ah...the scent of victory.

konhidras
kleelof wrote:

I tried playing at a place like this in San Francisco. Those guys rely on talking trash to win. It is part of their tactic. The best way to deal with it is to talk bigger trash back at them. 

but mr rosner wasnt....hes just beating em all without antics and dirty tactics.

IpswichMatt

@konhidras - thanks for the link, will watch it when I get home from work

konhidras
IpswichMatt wrote:

@konhidras - thanks for the link, will watch it when I get home from work

your welcome Ipswichmatt.

I coulndt tell you how great it feels when i see chess hustlers get beat. lol

he beats em all.

IpswichMatt

Have you ever played them?

This doesn't happen in the UK, as far as I know. I'd like to visit Washington Park someday

konhidras
IpswichMatt wrote:

Have you ever played them?

This doesn't happen in the UK, as far as I know. I'd like to visit Washington Park someday

Ive played the old guy with a hat a few years ago as a highschool student on vacation but he wasnt sitting on that table it was quite different then (including the chess park itself or maybe the camera was just in a different location). i think i beat him 3-2 with 2 draws then at 5min to 3min (not fair huh) the other guys never played me.It was 3 dollars a game back then.

IpswichMatt

You had 3 mins, he had 5 ? You did well then! How strong are these guys, in your opinion?

VLaurenT
IpswichMatt wrote:

You had 3 mins, he had 5 ? You did well then! How strong are these guys, in your opinion?

According to the Canadian Chess Federation website, Cecil Rosner has a Canadian rating of 2034, which would roughly translate as USCF ~2000.

Assuming Posner's blitz rating is similar, I would guess the hustlers play in the 1500-1800 range in blitz.

konhidras
IpswichMatt wrote:

No. i had 5mins  and he was giving odds by playing at 3mins. I think the old guys playing strength was maybe at a 1700- to 1900 .Im amazed as to how the old man didnt know the lucena position back then and hes hustling?. I dont know if he knows em now though. What is funny is that those guys are business men, when you beat one in a tough game all em dont gamble playing with you. Anyway i was younger then it was just  afew years lol or two . Ahhhh the sweet feeling of victory. And now im surprised and happy to see em still playing at the washington park and being convincgly beaten by mr Rosner.

johnyoudell

Nice video, would love to read the article.

SilentKnighte5

Uhhh...

"The 2nd challenger is tougher, he attacks with the Ponziani opening.  Rosner counters with the Leningrad Dutch defense."

WTF?

johnyoudell

Well noticed. Last time I looked, the Ponziani started e4 and the dutch is a defence to d4.

Hmmm.

Openings can transpose, I guess. Quite a long way to travel though.

IpswichMatt

When Magnus appeared on the BBC, the presenter started to play a game with him. The presenter had White. A few moves in, the presenter said "hmm, I'll be interested to see how you respond to my Sicillian Defense"

Laughing

kleelof

He did say at the end of the video he was having an exceptional chess day.

johnyoudell

I think it was his mate who talked of the Ponziani. Maybe he wasn't having such an exceptional commentating day.

kleelof
johnyoudell wrote:

I think it was his mate who talked of the Ponziani. Maybe he wasn't having such an exceptional commentating day.

Maybe the chess player told him it was the Ponziani just to mess with him. 

Who said chess players don't have a sense of humor.Laughing

johnyoudell

Could be. He seemed a pretty together guy (the chess player/chess columnist guy).