THOUGHT EXPERIMENT - What would happen if a chess engine went back in time?

nimzomalaysian

Let's say one of today's strongest chess engines, Komodo or Stockfish went back in time (let's say to the 60s or the 70's) along with all the opening and endgame databases. Let's say that this was available to just one person, so that he can cheat without anyone ever finding out. Soon enough, he'll become the World Champion. 

What would the other grandmasters say about his playing style? Would they claim that it's wrong but works for some reason or would they glorify him?

EDIT: He also would have the ability to reproduce variations during post game analysis. If someone asks about a move, he would input that move into the engine (somehow) and spit out the variation.

0110001101101000

Wait, are you saying they would use it to prep and cheat in adjournments, or are you saying they would use it to play for them like B.Ivanov.

If they used it like B.Ivanov, they'd say the player is a ridiculously good calculator... and when they can't reproduce any of it in analysis it would be really fishy.

nimzomalaysian

Cheat in OTB tournaments, like B.Ivanov.

gautamgreat
I think they would soon realize that the chess knowledge they have is outdated and there other concepts out there which they haven't known about and they would claim it wrong at first but then as they study it further they will change their opinion and adapt to the new grandmasters style and therefore the future generations ( which is basically us ) will be even better than they are right now ( yes even The top GMs will become better if that were to happen).
Really good thought nimzomalaysian !
gautamgreat
They won't probably think he's cheating because they won't even know that stockfish exists because it didn't at that time
gautamgreat
Didn't exist*
0110001101101000

No, they wouldn't study it to be better, because it's based on pure calculation.

But sure, opening theory would probably change.

No, they wouldn't think he's using an engine obviously, but when the same strength is nowhere to be found in analysis or off hand games it would seem like cheating even if they didn't know how it was possible.

nimzomalaysian

So, when other GMs ask about a position, he quickly enters the move into the engine using his eyes and waits for a second or two and presents them the variation (He has the abilit to edit variations with his mind). When asked why, he talks about some bullshit about pawn structures and other generalities. This would actually make the future generations weaker permanently.

NightLightsOut

dude ur dreaming awake wtfff

Pulpofeira
nimzomalaysian escribió:

Let's say one of today's strongest chess engines, Komodo or Stockfish went back in time (let's say to the 60s or the 70's) along with all the opening and endgame databases. Let's say that this was available to just one person, so that he can cheat without anyone ever finding out. Soon enough, he'll become the World Champion. 

What would the other grandmasters say about his playing style? Would they claim that it's wrong but works for some reason or would they glorify him?

EDIT: He also would have the ability to reproduce variations during post game analysis. If someone asks about a move, he would input that move into the engine (somehow) and spit out the variation.

Tal was there.

nimzomalaysian
Pulpofeira wrote:
nimzomalaysian escribió:

Let's say one of today's strongest chess engines, Komodo or Stockfish went back in time (let's say to the 60s or the 70's) along with all the opening and endgame databases. Let's say that this was available to just one person, so that he can cheat without anyone ever finding out. Soon enough, he'll become the World Champion. 

What would the other grandmasters say about his playing style? Would they claim that it's wrong but works for some reason or would they glorify him?

EDIT: He also would have the ability to reproduce variations during post game analysis. If someone asks about a move, he would input that move into the engine (somehow) and spit out the variation.

Tal was there.

Wow, you know what? You may be right!

0110001101101000
nimzomalaysian wrote:

So, when other GMs ask about a position, he quickly enters the move into the engine using his eyes and waits for a second or two and presents them the variation (He has the abilit to edit variations with his mind). When asked why, he talks about some bullshit about pawn structures and other generalities. This would actually make the future generations weaker permanently.

What if in the future, technology is so advanced that chess playing machines do even more than just find the best move, they can play moves that maintain the evaluation, but choose the moves to  purposefully give humans difficulty to play against. They can even verbalize the good and bad points of moves.

Also there are androids. Also time machines. Also Carlsen is an android from the future.

You say what if we went in the past, but it's already happening today! We've been invaded by the future.

kindaspongey

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are" checkmated.

SilentKnighte5

Nothing would happen because it wouldn't run on their hardware.

nimzomalaysian
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

Nothing would happen because it wouldn't run on their hardware.

Considering the fact that today's engines on smartphones are strong enough to beat grand masters, I think it would run very well on the supercomputers back then.

nimzomalaysian
0110001101101000 wrote:

No, they wouldn't study it to be better, because it's based on pure calculation.

But sure, opening theory would probably change.

No, they wouldn't think he's using an engine obviously, but when the same strength is nowhere to be found in analysis or off hand games it would seem like cheating even if they didn't know how it was possible.

That's unlikely, Carlsen struggles to beat today's engines like Komodo and Stockfish. If he truly had an engine from the future, he would have easilly defeated them and would have managed a rating of over 3200.

0110001101101000
nimzomalaysian wrote:
0110001101101000 wrote:

No, they wouldn't study it to be better, because it's based on pure calculation.

But sure, opening theory would probably change.

No, they wouldn't think he's using an engine obviously, but when the same strength is nowhere to be found in analysis or off hand games it would seem like cheating even if they didn't know how it was possible.

That's unlikely, Carlsen struggles to beat today's engines like Komodo and Stockfish. If he truly had an engine from the future, he would have easilly defeated them and would have managed a rating of over 3200.

You misunderstand, its deception is on purpose. No need to be 500 points stronger when 100 is enough to be #1.

0110001101101000
Poxman101 wrote:

they will probably find out that you are really bad at bullet chess...

 

because you will take like 3 seconds every time to input a move, wait for the computer's response, play it, and press the clock. and i dont think you can win a grandmaster in 20 moves, well maybe a 1% chance of winning lol

No one played bullet chess in 1970 tongue.png

kontoleon

OK today we have full power of engines but is hard to learn chess.

Prometheus_Fuschs

I'm almost sure they'd think of him as a cheater especially if he was incapable of explaining his decisions. Remember the 1972 WCC? People X-rayed Fischers chair and he wasn't a cheater so that should tell you how paranoic people were.