Thoughts on the Benoni Defense?

BlitzKriegBoy99
goommba88 wrote:

Mods why is this not in the openings section !?

 

I didn´t know there is an opening section in foruns. 

llama47
goommba88 wrote:

Mods why is this not in the openings section !?

 

I guess none of the mods have ever heard of the benoni 🤷

llama47
BlitzKriegBoy99 wrote:

Hi everyone. 

I recently started to build an opening repertoire based on the Benoni defense together with one of my students (he was tired of the King´s Indian). I used some books as inspiration, as Chinese= School of Chess, where he has a topic about the "Benoni Mystique", which some general ideas on the opening. 

Do you have any particular thoughts on it? Any books recommendation? 

What's your student's rating? King's indian to benoni... those are a bit advanced.

Do you honestly think their results would be significantly worse if they played something more standard like a queen's gambit, slav, nimzo, etc?

Steven-ODonoghue
llama47 wrote:
goommba88 wrote:

Mods why is this not in the openings section !?

 

I guess none of the mods have ever heard of the benoni 🤷

The mods can barely tie their shoes, let alone knowing how to play a 3 move opening.

llama47

They're too busy modding it up to play I guess.

BlitzKriegBoy99
llama47 wrote:
BlitzKriegBoy99 wrote:

Hi everyone. 

I recently started to build an opening repertoire based on the Benoni defense together with one of my students (he was tired of the King´s Indian). I used some books as inspiration, as Chinese= School of Chess, where he has a topic about the "Benoni Mystique", which some general ideas on the opening. 

Do you have any particular thoughts on it? Any books recommendation? 

What's your student's rating? King's indian to benoni... those are a bit advanced.

Do you honestly think their results would be significantly worse if they played something more standard like a queen's gambit, slav, nimzo, etc?

He is 1700 FIDE. 

Not at all. I believe he would do fine with these defenses you mentioned, and I´m a Slav player, it would be easier to teach.

But we decided to give Benoni a chance and build a repertoire together. 

llama47
BlitzKriegBoy99 wrote:
llama47 wrote:
BlitzKriegBoy99 wrote:

Hi everyone. 

I recently started to build an opening repertoire based on the Benoni defense together with one of my students (he was tired of the King´s Indian). I used some books as inspiration, as Chinese= School of Chess, where he has a topic about the "Benoni Mystique", which some general ideas on the opening. 

Do you have any particular thoughts on it? Any books recommendation? 

What's your student's rating? King's indian to benoni... those are a bit advanced.

Do you honestly think their results would be significantly worse if they played something more standard like a queen's gambit, slav, nimzo, etc?

He is 1700 FIDE. 

Not at all. I believe he would do fine with these defenses you mentioned, and I´m a Slav player, it would be easier to teach.

But we decided to give Benoni a chance and build a repertoire together. 

Ok.

And I know an important part of chess is to enjoy it, so if he wants to play the benoni, then that's fine.

But if you're asking for thoughts, my thought is it's not terrible but I wouldn't recommend it tongue.png

BlitzKriegBoy99
llama47 wrote:
BlitzKriegBoy99 wrote:
llama47 wrote:
BlitzKriegBoy99 wrote:

Hi everyone. 

I recently started to build an opening repertoire based on the Benoni defense together with one of my students (he was tired of the King´s Indian). I used some books as inspiration, as Chinese= School of Chess, where he has a topic about the "Benoni Mystique", which some general ideas on the opening. 

Do you have any particular thoughts on it? Any books recommendation? 

What's your student's rating? King's indian to benoni... those are a bit advanced.

Do you honestly think their results would be significantly worse if they played something more standard like a queen's gambit, slav, nimzo, etc?

He is 1700 FIDE. 

Not at all. I believe he would do fine with these defenses you mentioned, and I´m a Slav player, it would be easier to teach.

But we decided to give Benoni a chance and build a repertoire together. 

Ok.

And I know an important part of chess is to enjoy it, so if he wants to play the benoni, then that's fine.

But if you're asking for thoughts, my thought is it's not terrible but I wouldn't recommend it

Thank you, Llama happy.png 

Bishop_g5

Theory in the Benoni has changed significantly in the last decade. You will need something more than a book to build a well-rounded opening repertoire for your student. 

If you are looking for an opening repertoire with general ideas that should apply to the 1700 level then you should look to John Watson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2188215.The_Gambit_Guide_to_the_Modern_Benoni

If you want something more instructive to help him understand the opening rather than build a memory of moves then you will need this one: https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Benoni-Everyman-Andrew-Kinsman/dp/1857442229

After all that if you insist on playing the Benoni and you want something to make a difference in the repertoire then leave the books and catch Mihail Marin chess base: https://www.modern-chess.com/en/chess-databases/database=25

 

ninjaswat
Bishop_g5 wrote:

Theory in the Benoni has changed significantly in the last decade. You will need something more than a book to build a well-rounded opening repertoire for your student. 

If you are looking for an opening repertoire with general ideas that should apply to the 1700 level then you should look to John Watson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2188215.The_Gambit_Guide_to_the_Modern_Benoni

If you want something more instructive to help him understand the opening rather than build a memory of moves then you will need this one: https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Benoni-Everyman-Andrew-Kinsman/dp/1857442229

After all that if you insist on playing the Benoni and you want something to make a difference in the repertoire then leave the books and catch Mihail Marin chess base: https://www.modern-chess.com/en/chess-databases/database=25

 

Okay I'll be using this to increase my prep too happy.png

Woollensock2
Try the “ Benko gambit “
BlitzKriegBoy99
Bishop_g5 wrote:

Theory in the Benoni has changed significantly in the last decade. You will need something more than a book to build a well-rounded opening repertoire for your student. 

If you are looking for an opening repertoire with general ideas that should apply to the 1700 level then you should look to John Watson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2188215.The_Gambit_Guide_to_the_Modern_Benoni

If you want something more instructive to help him understand the opening rather than build a memory of moves then you will need this one: https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Benoni-Everyman-Andrew-Kinsman/dp/1857442229

After all that if you insist on playing the Benoni and you want something to make a difference in the repertoire then leave the books and catch Mihail Marin chess base: https://www.modern-chess.com/en/chess-databases/database=25

 

Thank you for the valuable recommendations. 

sanpatkan

Hi Otto, if you prepare the repertoire for Benoni, then publish some part of it in your blog here.  As usual we always wait for your blogs.

Furthermore once I finish publishing repertoire on KID, I am going to cover openings who has KID like structure or which can transpose to KID. And so naturally I will have to cover Benoni also.

But that will take quite some while. Because even though I have written some 20 blogs, I think I will still need 25 more articles just to scratch the surface.

It is natural for your student to sthift from KID to Benoni as both are related.

I have given you the link to book on your personal message. See if it can help you.

Dr Sanjay

BlitzKriegBoy99
sanpatkan wrote:

Hi Otto, if you prepare the repertoire for Benoni, then publish some part of it in your blog here.  As usual we always wait for your blogs.

Furthermore once I finish publishing repertoire on KID, I am going to cover openings who has KID like structure or which can transpose to KID. And so naturally I will have to cover Benoni also.

But that will take quite some while. Because even though I have written some 20 blogs, I think I will still need 25 more articles just to scratch the surface.

It is natural for your student to sthit from KID to Benoni as both are related.

I have given you the link to book on your personal message. See if it can help you.

Dr Sanjay

Thank you for your kind words and considerations, Sanjay. 

Yes, it shows how rich of ideas are these indian openings.

I´m not planning in writing at the moment but is an idea to be taken into consideration.

Cheers!

Woollensock2
You’re welcome 🙏
Mattchessking09

 

BlitzKriegBoy99
Woollensock2 wrote:
You’re welcome 🙏

happy.png