Forums

washington square park nyc

Sort:
DrFrank124c
kalle99 wrote:

By the way. How strong are those hustlers if they would be given an ELO ? IAre they  between candidate master and Fide master strenght (the best of them). ? Or higher ? Anyone who has played them and could estimate their strenght.

By the way look at these clips. I love them. So funny. The videos consists of two parts. For money or Love is the title. Two hustlers are fighting in the park in NYC trying their best to "talk down" his oponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsXLdCKmvI

"You may say boo booo" !! " Tshu tshu!

I used to play in Washington Square Park and I have spoken with many of the hustlers. I have been told that many of them are of Expert and Master strength. 

TKACHS

About thirty years ago I took my nice wooden chess set to an empty table at Washington Square Park, and got challenged. Fully expecting to lose, but to my surprise I got into a position where I had a slight advantage. The problem was I was playing too slow and my partner was getting restless. Of course in the winter cold I had to go pee so bad that I couldn't concentrate on the game. So I made a desparate run for the toilet. Rushed into the Woman's room by mistake, ejected by an angry guard, almost peeing in my pants finally got to the urinal did my whizz got back to my game. My opponent, my chess pieces and box and board, all gone!!! 

DrFrank124c
WRobertThompson wrote:

A few years ago now GM Keith Arkell spent some time in New York, and played against these guys. Eventually a 2 minute vs 5 minute handicap against him was judged to be balanced, making them probably 2100 standard at least, and plausibly more.

Some of those players are master level players and higher although they may not have official ratings. 

DrFrank124c
TKACHS wrote:

About thirty years ago I took my nice wooden chess set to an empty table at Washington Square Park, and got challenged. Fully expecting to lose, but to my surprise I got into a position where I had a slight advantage. The problem was I was playing too slow and my partner was getting restless. Of course in the winter cold I had to go pee so bad that I couldn't concentrate on the game. So I made a desparate run for the toilet. Rushed into the Woman's room by mistake, ejected by an angry guard, almost peeing in my pants finally got to the urinal did my whizz got back to my game. My opponent, my chess pieces and box and board, all gone!!! 

In New York City you cannot leave anything that is not nailed down. Even then someone might pry off the nails.

TKACHS

I've heard of stranger use of nails in the kinky West Village.....

UncleSwindle

is it still opened today?

breaker90

Yes, people still play chess there to this day. It can be quite a fun experience.

Hitman_Pop

Those hustlers could beat grand masters