Forums

Why do so few players play 30 min live chess?

Sort:
LikeTheLake

Hello Everyone.  I created a group to gather people wanting to play 30-0.  Please join.  Cheers.

http://www.chess.com/groups/home/standard-30-0-minutes-club

ticcherr
LikeTheLake wrote:

Hello Everyone.  I created a group to gather people wanting to play 30-0.  Please join.  Cheers.

http://www.chess.com/groups/home/standard-30-0-minutes-club

Standard club g30 nd above 2 atract more ppl i no others wana play 45|45 nd even longer

nd join da chat room

Doc_who_loves_chess

@reflectivist, yes I too hate it when people would just wait for their clocks to slowly run down, this happened to me a lot in 5/0 blitz. The funny thing is this seems to be extremely rare phenomenon in 30/0 standard. Therefore, if our goal is to reduce the amount of wasted time with a troll waiting for their clock to slowly run down, then you are far better off risking the once in a blue moon troll on 30/0 standard, than experiencing all the actual trolls who do in fact do this on 5/0 blitz. All those blitz timeouts add up, join us in 30/0!

@Chasm995, yes, it is true that some people do not have a free hour spare to play 30/0, not that most games actually go for an hour. But this was rarely the reason I played 5/0 blitz, as I would just play multiple games back-to-back usually for over an hour if not more. In my experience, while my wife watches a 2 hour movie I can usually play three 30/0 games, and each one will be educational for me in post-game review (I can start to see patterns in my errors and try to correct them).

@LikeTheLake, thanks for setting up a 30/0 group. I joined, but I suspect it would be simpler if more people would just join the general 30/0 live pool on chess.com and increase the number of players available, thereby reducing the seek time.  I had one higher rated player who abandoned a 30/0 game (presumably because of my lower rating) only to be re-matched with me 7 times (he had to abandon every one). This would happen less with a bigger pool size.

One last thing I wanted to add about people not wanting to get cheated by playing someone who might be using an engine: (1) unless you are playing people ranked over 1800, you are VERY unlikely to encounter a cheat, and (2) if your goal is to get better at chess then you are, in fact, cheating yourself by playing blitz which will reinforce a plethora of bad habits and will not improve your game. This has been both my experience and is the overwhelming consensus of everyone I have discussed this with to date.

topJKMonkey

it takes longer to finish and many people dont have that kind of time

Noreaster

chasm1995 wrote:

I think that some people just don't have an hour to play a 30 minute game, yet they have ten minutes to play a five minute game or something similar to that.

I dont wish to give any offense but I find the 'I don't have any time for this or that to be mostly a cop out. If you love something you will find the time......the way some folks talk about how busy they are.......lol you would think they were the President. L

Kageri
DrJamesB wrote:

One last thing I wanted to add about people not wanting to get cheated by playing someone who might be using an engine: (1) unless you are playing people ranked over 1800, you are VERY unlikely to encounter a cheat, and (2) if your goal is to get better at chess then you are, in fact, cheating yourself by playing blitz which will reinforce a plethora of bad habits and will not improve your game. This has been both my experience and is the overwhelming consensus of everyone I have discussed this with to date.

I don't know about live chess but in correspondence chess I'd guess there are a lot of part-time cheaters in lower levels. they don't cheat the whole game but only if the position is complicated, they are losing or have no plans. I often analyze my games (at least the ones I played more serious) after they are finished and I'd suspect there are about 20% of those people. Especially if you play in tournaments - it seems to tempt the cheaters more. But since it's just a suspicion and since I don't care really...

royalbishop

Well it is obvious as by the 20 minute they can make you waste your time the next 10 minutes if they are going to lose and not make a move. Or a variation of it.

Plus it is more than enought time to call your Uncle who is a titled player on move 13 to help you get out a jam and win the game. Anything longer than 10 minutes should be automatically Unrated. Solves all the problems. If you then want them rated find a friend to play and change it from the default of Unrated to a Rated game.

varelse1

Just reached the following position playing G/15 on a different website. I was playing the black pieces. Up almost a full rook, I thought I was safe in my position. Then my opponent uncorked the following Brilliancy.

And he is now, as I type this, watching his reamaining 10 minutes run out. Bored I thought I'd check out the forums on Chess.com while I wait.
Shivsky

That looks like a trap. Or he's probably busy driving over to your place to cut the power.

chasm1995

I have one problem with 30 mintue games, and it's a personal problem.  How do I get myself to use more than just five minutes of my clock throughout the game?  I always end up using my opponent's time, thinking that when I need my time, I'll have it, but I never use it.

royalbishop

I think we are looking at the wrong way.

Say you like to play 3 games a day and you never tried 30 minute games. The first thing they will think is that is about 1 hr for 1 game so it will take me about 3 hrs to finish playing 3 games not to mention the other things i like to do on chess.com. Their repsonse No Thankyou!

Why when they can play the same amount of games from 30 - 90 minites.

varelse1
Shivsky wrote:

That looks like a trap. Or he's probably busy driving over to your place to cut the power.

Wondered why he was so interested in my address........Undecided

chasm1995

I found one flaw: ONE person stopped playing seven moves in and only resumed when he had five minutes left on his clock to my 25 minutes.  I went on forums while this happenned, so there is no time lost on my part.  It's never happenned before, and I doubt it happens often, so there is no harm done on my behalf, as I won that game.

varelse1

Another problem. suppose the guys no troll at all. but hangs his queen on move 9.and continues playing.

Do you really want to invest another 35 minutes on this silly game? I would be tempted to offer a draw, or resign.

chasm1995

I'd try to find a quick checkmate.  Failing that, I try to make a quick checkmate.  Failing that, I do the quickest checkmate I can find.

zBorris

@DrJamesB - just join one of the slow groups where they offer such things for people with common interest and you'll have plenty of opportunities for games.

royalbishop

Sounds like a plan!

Toxic-Effect

I don't like 30min games because some players AFK when losing. 

chasm1995

It happens very rarely.  Today was the first time I play a 30 minute game where something like that happened.  People playing longer games do not want their time wasted and therefore do not waste the time of others.

robotjazz

OK, 30 min live is my favorite time control. If I encounter a time troll I just start another game simultaneously, no prob. Also, I have countless distractions at home and 30 min is enough time to deal with those and resume my train of thought. As for cheaters, chess.com has caught a ton of them during my games and I won by default. 30 min is what they play at the Dallas Chess Club, but there is an added time increment. Overall, I think it is the best time control for serious chess enthusiasts.