Forums

Chess 960 bugs

Sort:
einstein_69101

I played one unrated game and I found some errors.    My opponent and I decided on a draw.  Here is the link to the game:

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=23000195

I don't know if they are corrected by now or not but I thought I should share what I found.  I believe the errors were caused by 5...0-0-0 since this move looks unusual for a normal chess game.

When I made an attempt to enter a conditional line (when we were well passed move 5) I was given this position:

This is the position after 5. a3 which was right before I played 5...0-0-0.  Since that was not the current position I was unable to enter conditional moves.  My guess is that the server did not input 5...0-0-0 properly.

My opponent tried to takeback some moves when 19...Qg5+ was played.  She messaged me stating she was trying to do some takebacks and then I told her that I will try to do some takebacks.  I clicked on takeback and it asked if I was sure I wanted to do that.  I clicked yes and it didn't change the position.

Also, I noticed at one point that when I moved my cursor over the link to the game on my game page that the diagram that pops up does not show the correct position.  I think after I played 5...0-0-0 the server put my king on e8 and it took away my queen rook.  But when I click on the link to my game the board shows the correct position.  It seems that the server and the game board disagree on what the position looks like.  I was able to play 22...Re8 because the server thought that was my king.  It was a kinglike move because it only moved one square.  If I try to play something like 22...Rh8 then I would get a "failed" error.  I tried to play Rh8 later in the game and I got that message.  Also, I tried to play 24...Re1+ but got a "failed" message.  I played a different move and it accepted 24...Bxa3.

Here is the final position that the server has:

Here is the final position that is on my board:

The analysis board seemed to work properly.

Thanks for reading my long message.  I understand that it is a working process and things will improve.  :)

einstein_69101

Also, I will note that when I had Re8 that I told my opponent that I will try to submit Rf7 because that would be a kinglike move (just to experiment).  But I was not able to do it because the board recognizes that piece as a rook so it wouldn't allow me to make an illegal move.

My opponent played 28. Qe4 when I had my rook on e7 (or a king from the system's point of view) to see what would happen if I ignore the attack with something like 28...cxd5.  I get the "failed" error.  Also, if I try to move my real king then I would get a "failed" error as well.

PhilipN

There's 960 available on the site now?  How do I play?

TypicalChessPlayer1
That's a shame