Forums

Good, Free Anti-Spyware?

Sort:
aquiredtaste

Wondering if I have spy-ware on my computer.  It could explain some of my complaints about the site.  Anyone know where I can download some free anti-spyware?

rooperi

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

goldendog

Malwarebytes

SUPERantiSpyware

It's good to have a few on hand to catch what comes your way.

Flamma_Aquila

adaware. Go to www.lavasoft.com

goldendog
padman wrote:

That's a coincidence, I just downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware and it worked great to pick up the ones that Malwarebytes missed.

There's a lot of dodgy programs floating around with names similar to SuperAntiSpyware which are in fact packed to the gills with spyware and malware so people should be careful!

Good advice. Look before you leap. Research a bit and refer to known reputable sites for advice re spyware/malware.

I use Malware, SUPERAntispyware, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Windows Defender.

Now and again I dl updates and run them all.

Cystem_Phailure
aquiredtaste wrote:

Wondering if I have spy-ware on my computer.  It could explain some of my complaints about the site.  Anyone know where I can download some free anti-spyware?

If you haven't previously been running any protection, I'd think your computer is almost sure to have malware.  A computer that cruises the Net unprotected probably has a better chance of no damage after being tossed out a 5th story window.

goldendog
Cystem_Phailure wrote:

A computer that cruises the Net unprotected probably has a better chance of no damage after being tossed out a 5th story window.

I got it! I got it! I don't got it!

ilikeflags
Flamma_Aquila wrote:

adaware. Go to www.lavasoft.com

yes

philidorposition

Comodo Internet Security

Spybot

Adblock

loved

Various threats against home computer can be thwarted by keeping software up-to-date with the latest security patches (which are provided by the same people who make and maintain/improve the software). To keep an eye on my software I like secunia's free "PC security". It seems to work well; it hasn't slowed down my computer, and I haven't gotten tons of ads popping up all the time after downloading & installing it.

kenneth67

...wonder what Bill Gates uses. If anyone Googles this one...

PC-cillin from Trend Micro has been good for me.

Niven42

I hope Bill Gates reprograms the SpyBots he finds on his computers and sends them back to where they came from.

kenneth67

there is a humourous dig at him here: 

http://www.computercourage.com/2008/07/01/goodbye-bill-gates-and-thank-you/