Forums

I believe I was unfairly muted. What can I do?

Sort:
Sputnik3000

I believe I was unfairly banned. What can I do?

Details:

I was chat banned for game (3192098)

I think the ban was incorrect as my comments to the player were made after the game had ended and therefore should be classified as a discussion after the game, rather than strategy discussion during the game.

You can easily verify this by comparing chat and move timestamps:

"Game over. (Green +40)
Sputnik3000: yeh
ezakimaK: congrats on 4th
Sputnik3000: yellow
Sputnik3000: take my rook
Sputnik3000: grab points"

Note that the game was over before messages were sent, and I was merely attempting to educate a low rated player that he/she should have taken my rook to gain enough points for a second place.

How can I appeal this or get more clarification?

notmtwain
Sputnik3000 wrote:

Details:

I was chat banned for game (3192098)

I think the ban was incorrect as my comments to the player were made after the game had ended and therefore should be classified as a discussion after the game, rather than strategy discussion during the game.

You can easily verify this by comparing chat and move timestamps:

"Game over. (Green +40)
Sputnik3000: yeh
ezakimaK: congrats on 4th
Sputnik3000: yellow
Sputnik3000: take my rook
Sputnik3000: grab points"

Note that the game was over before messages were sent, and I was merely attempting to educate a low rated player that he/she should have taken my rook to gain enough points for a second place.

How can I appeal this or get more clarification?

No point telling us. Write to support@chess.com.

Sputnik3000

Thank you for your response.
I did write to support@chess.com and trying to dispute my chat ban.

Martin_Stahl
Sputnik3000 wrote:

Thank you for your response.
I did write to support@chess.com and trying to dispute my chat ban.

Most chat mutes will be gone before support has a chance to get back to you.  That said, I don't see anything that shows you were muted.

edit: nevermind, that's from 4PC and that is done differently and isn't integrated like the rest of the site.

Sputnik3000

I was muted for a day. As always there is no email or notification, you just find out you cannot post anything in chat.

Sputnik3000

Overall, the dispute process seems "strange". I did contact support and had a few email exchanges with a support agent, who apparently contacted moderators on my behalf but to no avail. Never communicated with an actual moderator.

drmrboss
Sputnik3000 wrote:

Martin_Stahl
Sputnik3000 wrote:

Overall, the dispute process seems "strange". I did contact support and had a few email exchanges with a support agent, who apparently contacted moderators on my behalf but to no avail. Never communicated with an actual moderator.

4PC isn't like the rest of the site. On the regular site you'll normally get warnings and staff wouldn't need a moderator to assist with anything, they could just ummute you after seeing why you were were muted, which should get logged. They might ask the moderator why you were muted, if not noted for some reason.

Queen_Liza
Follow nomtwain’s advice! Yet you were so kind to let the other player to take your rook!
Garydasaint

Dude, no kidding I got muted for an hour for complimenting someone's username 

[image removed; expletives will get you muted -- MS]

IsraeliGal
Garydasaint wrote:

Dude, no kidding I got muted for an hour for complimenting someone's username

that's because of the "f*cking" word. 

thats probably the auto mod bot that muted u as soon as it detected a word u can't put.

Garydasaint

@soniasthetics Ah, I see. I didn't see it being stated in the rules. I saw the offensive part, but not the vulgar part. Thank you for the clarification

andhesacrificesTHEROOOKIE

i was banned for literally no reason

now i think lichess server is way better

aac2009 wrote:

just for saying that scandi is not the best openning there is 

IsraeliGal

Good job on bumping an old figured out thread with nonsense.

Martin_Stahl
aac2009 wrote:
aac2009 wrote:

just for saying that scandi is not the best openning there is 

People don't get banned or muted for something like that.

Mangesh_Kalicharan

I got a warning as well, I wouldn't have mind the warning but it was totally unfair. A guy blundered and called me cheater(conversation started from his end) and all I wrote back was "Maybe stop playing Englund gambit than call me a cheater" and the next thing I know is a warning message from chess.com. 

IndoRaptor32

Just don't chat people What is the use of chatting?

That's your mistake

JUNE-BUGS
IndoRaptor32 wrote:

Just don't chat people What is the use of chatting?

That's your mistake

calling people bozos is the use