Forums

Using Safari

Sort:
ChessGF

I have been using Safari to play chess on my IPad. Over the past two days, all of the pieces show up as knights which makes it really hard to make a winning move. Does anyone have any advice?

stephen_33

Dump Safari ?  The fact is I.E. & Safari don't seem to get on well with this website.  Chrome & Firefox are practically the recommended browsers for this site & as long as you're sure that your browser & O.S. are fully updated, then it might be a good idea to try a different browser.

I switched to Chrome when I joined & I havn't had any trouble since. And it's fast too !

MrPizzel

If you have all knights at least you will be checkmated, eh?

jaclyn

@ChessGF- Go to your settings on your iPad, then to Safari.  Clear your website data and history. Close the app completely (double click the home button from the homepage, then press and hold the Safari icon) and then reopen it and see if that helps.

We also do have an iPad app :)

NimzoRoy
stephen_33 wrote:

Dump Safari ?  The fact is I.E. & Safari don't seem to get on well with this website.  Chrome & Firefox are practically the recommended browsers for this site & as long as you're sure that your browser & O.S. are fully updated, then it might be a good idea to try a different browser.

I switched to Chrome when I joined & I havn't had any trouble since. And it's fast too !

Second the motion here, at least use Chrome or FF for chess.com and you can still use Safari elsewhere if you want to.

stymie

I have been using Firefox for the last 6 years and have not had any problems until the other day when the background of my chess board during tactics trainer and any puzzles that members post, showed up as all pawns as shown below. My online games and daily puzzle was not affected. I began changing some board settings and found that a board color setting of blue (which I have always used) was creating the problem. Play around with your board settings and see if that helps. This appears to be an internal chess.com bug.

Update: I returned to my board settings and found that the problem has been fixed.

stephen_33

stymie, as a matter of interest do you have your Java set to automatic updates?

I only ask because I've always used Chrome on this site & I've never experienced anything like that but I use the default board settings, so I take your point about it being specific to one board-type.

stymie

I update manually after using Firefox's plug-in checker.

Java: Version 7 Update 10

Which I installed on the 22nd of December. The problem just started yesterday, but I went back to check it today (board color setting to blue) and it is fine.

stephen_33

That's helped me too because I thought I'd set my Java to update automatically but it wasn't - still on Vers.7/update 6 !

I'm now up to update 10 which is the latest one.  Many of these problems can be solved by just updating your browser & Java but when they're more involved, best to report it directly to the staff..

http://support.chess.com/Tickets/Submit