Forums

Letting time run out vs resigning

Sort:
jerseyjack

On live chess, why do some players who find themselves down on pieces or position or both let time run with no moves vs resigning?

Bronco

So they can blame the clock and not themselves for giving up. Like Mama said "quiters never prosper"

kohai

Chess.com encourages players to be kind and show good sportsmanship. Our Fair Play policy expects that players will not:

intentionally disconnect during games
    stall to make opponents wait unnecessarily
    frivolously abort games because they don't want to play black, etc.

If their account is flagged for breaking this policy they account will be restricted. They will still be able to play games with friends or accept direct challenges, but they will not be able to create or accept open challenges until they play more games that follow the fair play policy.

Their game behavior is detected by our server

Wolfwind

How does system tells bad sportsmans apart from people who just keep thinking ? :)

ponz111
jerseyjack wrote:

On live chess, why do some players who find themselves down on pieces or position or both let time run with no moves vs resigning?

Usually because they are jerks.

frankiebouy

i just played my fifth game on live chess and my opponent said he has to go and let time run out instead of resigning, strange because there was only three minutes left.

Markle
frank1462 wrote:

i just played my fifth game on live chess and my opponent said he has to go and let time run out instead of resigning, strange because there was only three minutes left.

I think your opponent used a lame excuse, how long does it take to click on the resign button I also like the guys that will abort a game on move one because they are higher rated and are afraid to lose to someone lower rated. Some people act like idiots what can you do

frankiebouy
Markle wrote:
frank1462 wrote:

I think your opponent used a lame excuse, how long does it take to click on the resign button I also like the guys that will abort a game on move one because they are higher rated and are afraid to lose to someone lower rated. Some people act like idiots what can you do

you are right i suppose. i much prefer the other chess where you have two or three days to move.

frrixz

BULLET CHESS STINKS

Especially because time lag issues continually force me to lose on time.

I'm done with bullet chess. It's not real chess.

suraka

I just had someone stop playing with 5min left on the clock when their position became hopeless. I see that it's in violation of the Fair Play Policy, how do I report this? Or is there some sort of auto-report that happens when no moves are made for the last couple minutes of a timed out game?

kohai

Its auto detected by the live chess server. Its also the server that restricts their play if they don't play fairly (not staff)

palackan

I just lost to a guy on time ...

he has 12 mins left i have 2 

i will win by mate in 1 move after his ...... i thought he had lost connectivity and moves to casual browsing ....  he doesnt resign and waits till 11 mins  moves which i dont obviously see and wins on time ... after this he types in stupidcomments in chat window ... these guys should be banned and game points should be returned ... this has happened to me a several times now ... why dont chess.com add some mechanism to enforce fairplay ...

palackan

I play for fun when i get spare time between work ... why would i stare @ a blank screen for 10 mins ... for points no way ... but just that its not fair ... but today i felt very bad because i was on some 10 match loosing streak and i lost a match which i one ... but the number of guys like this is 5 in 300 matches i played .. so i not bad record may be :)

johnnyrocco

this topic really burns my biscuit! I realize i play @ 1000-1100 level so not chess geniuses, but still, when someone abandons a 15/10 game with 11 min left because they are playing poorly i get a bit heated. my tactics are to ban them, drop a polite note thanking for wasting my time and perhaps share with them the way they remind me of fetid diseased rhinoceros dung eating beetle larvae. but i have banned almost 10% of the games i have played, i mean WTF?

kco

I think what she really meant to say is this.... 

"stall to make opponents wait unnecessarily" in a losing position.

beardogjones

If the person is in a losing position, how do we know they are skilled enough

to know that they are ina losing position?

kco

K+Q vs K ? should black with the lone king keep going ?

kco
kco wrote:

I think what she really meant to say is this.... 

"stall to make opponents wait unnecessarily" in a losing position.

not just once but in a numbers of times.

kco

"If he gets fed up, and walks away,..."  why not just resign, is it that too hard to do ?

Ubik42
melvinbluestone wrote:
kco wrote:

"If he gets fed up, and walks away,..."  why not just resign, is it that too hard to do ?

Of course he can just resign. That's easy to do. But maybe he gets fed up, walks away, paces around a while, thinks it over, and comes back to continue playing. He's got ten minutes. If he wants to take a break and do cartwheels because that helps his game, that's his right. Your basic premise is wrong: Because you get aggravated when your opponent takes along time to move, you assume he's doing something wrong. Maybe you're doing something wrong by playing a game you obviously don't have the patience for. He's got ten minutes, or whatever the time control may be. Allow your opponent the full time his clock reads when the game begins, or don't get into the game at all. What is so hard to understand about this? I mean, what's the point of the clock in the first?

Of course the opponent could get up and walk around...but this happens frequently enough that at least some of the time (I am guessing most of the time) its just someone being a jerk.

I dont have much sympathy with the complaint for online (3 day) chess, because in that case you aren't tied to the computer yourself, so the game will just take care of itself. Three days or three weeks, its all the same to me.

But in live chess, you have to hang out by your computer if you want the win. Some people are obviously just being jerks, repeatedly. One guy did it to me and I went to his homepage, and he had several notes from people complaining the same thing about him.

From the persepctive of the winner, it is wasted time that could be put to better use elsewhere. its enough to make me not want to even try 30 minute chess, because I dont relish the prospect of spending 20+ minutes staring at an unchanging chess position waiting for time to run down.