Forums

moving pieces

Sort:
joepne

Anyone else having difficulty moving pieces in live chess. they either stick, drop where you don't want them or just keep jumping back. most annoying. loseing lots of games because of this..

Travis73
[COMMENT DELETED]
GERARD11

What's he on about Joe?

joepne
GERARD11 wrote:

What's he on about Joe?

Llf, Don't know but There's some mad B*****ds on this...

Parzifal

Hey joepne, I find that I have the same problem, but that it usually happens during live play tournaments. Sometimes they won't move at all, sometimes it takes a few tries. What sort of browser are you using?

Travis73
[COMMENT DELETED]
joepne
Parzifal wrote:

Hey joepne, I find that I have the same problem, but that it usually happens during live play tournaments. Sometimes they won't move at all, sometimes it takes a few tries. What sort of browser are you using?

Firefox

kardla

I've been having similar issues. When moving a piece a long distance (so usually a queen or rook), it's starts highlighting the board like it would if I was highlighting part of a text document to copy and paste, then drops my piece somewhere before the final destination my mouse went to.  If I try to hold onto the piece and put it back to original square, it either won't let go or drops it back where it wanted to. As you can imagine, it's ruining games when I go to exchange queens and instead drop the piece two squares before it's target. This is during live chess using IE.

Wizard_Chess97

Yeah, the live chess on here doesn't seem to be the best, that's why I play mostly on Chesscube. It's more smooth and easy on there. (Not that I'm saying anything against Chess.com! Chesscube doesn't even have turn-based chess!) Smile

ClockBurner

No i haven't had that some experience, maybe the reason for this is becouse you have a weak connection.  Iv'e heard, (but not experienced) this happening.  I have seen this happening with other people and the reason is becouse of a weak connection.  The same thing was happening for them.  They got a new connection and it fixed the problom.  Not saying that you should get a new connection, I'm just saying that it helped them.  (Please don't get a new internet connection just becouse of this comment.  It helped them but it might not help you.)  Just wanted to tell you that from a friend to friend conversation.

kardla
ClockBurner wrote:

No i haven't had that some experience, maybe the reason for this is becouse you have a weak connection.  Iv'e heard, (but not experienced) this happening.  I have seen this happening with other people and the reason is becouse of a weak connection.  The same thing was happening for them.  They got a new connection and it fixed the problom.  Not saying that you should get a new connection, I'm just saying that it helped them.  (Please don't get a new internet connection just becouse of this comment.  It helped them but it might not help you.)  Just wanted to tell you that from a friend to friend conversation.

Thanks for that. Coincidently, I already had a new wireless modem which made my signal to the modem stronger although it does nothing for my internet speed which I always thought adequate. Unfortunately, it didn't help. This is occuring more and more, and is literally now ruining half my games.  I came here for live chess, but at this point I might have to quit this site if this keeps up. sigh...

kardla

Well I have a faster connection now. I didn't get it for this, it was an offer that came up.  My first two games with faster connection both involved giving away pieces because my piece drops to a square before I've finished moving it further to the square I wanted.  This has NEVER happened on another site I also go to.  Very frustrating.

ClockBurner
kardla wrote:

Well I have a faster connection now. I didn't get it for this, it was an offer that came up.  My first two games with faster connection both involved giving away pieces because my piece drops to a square before I've finished moving it further to the square I wanted.  This has NEVER happened on another site I also go to.  Very frustrating.

Well I'm sorry that it didn't work.  It worked for my friend and I thought that it might work for you all.  I don't understand why it didn't work, maybe it is the type of computer you are useing, is it older?  Maybe it is simply your mouse, if you are useing a laptop "scroller" pad then you might be letting up ever so slightly and it takes that as you let go.  If you are useing a wirless/laser mouse then it might be that your laser is covered up partially with dust or something, (It might be that and happen in games but nothing else in life because we don't normally drag things in real life other then in chess games.  If you have a wired mouse then maybe the ball is stuck.  There are so many options any more with electronics, just try a few and hopefully it works!

kardla

I'm happy to say that I've played dozens of games with a new different mouse and have not yet had a repeat of those problems.  The old mouse never was an issue on any other site (including another chess site) and is still being used on a work laptop that I don't go onto this site with. Can't explain why, but it's great to lose because of my incompetence instead of my mouse - haha.

MORGANI

Yes I am having ridiculous problems since the last refreshing of chess.com. Each time I try to move a piece to a designated square it sticks refuses to release and before anyone suggests it , there is nothing wrong with my mouse. Only in live chess. I have to keep aborting games. Perhaps this is a major problem with chess. com . THERE IS NOONE TO WRITE TO ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, ONLY PUT IT ON A FORUM WHICH NOONE FROM CHESS. COM TECHNICAL SUPPORT BOTHERS TO LOOK AT 

jimstaplja1

i just starting having this same problem of having trouble making moves. it acts like it is an illegal move but if i keep trying it will finally accept the move. i am using firefox 17.0.1

kardla

Hi Morgani: I know you don't want to talk about your mouse, but in my case my mouse worked everywhere, including another chess site, except on this site.  I changed mice and have never had my problem since. Maybe you can just borrow a mouse from another pc for a trial - might as well rule it out.  Does it make it right that possibly only this site has a problem with the mouse? No, but if you want to try to solve the issue....

jimstaplja1

thanks, oddly it doesnt do it all the time. i hate that, i would rather it do it all the time or ill never be sure what fixed the problem, but ill start with the mouse

Exo2323

I think it's the mouse, especially if using a wirless mouse. I notice that it doesn't seem to drag the pieces as smoothly or to the correct square. 

MaltaCross
Wizard_Chess97 wrote:

Yeah, the live chess on here doesn't seem to be the best, that's why I play mostly on Chesscube. It's more smooth and easy on there. (Not that I'm saying anything against Chess.com! Chesscube doesn't even have turn-based chess!)

Nope, I disagree. Chesscube is even worse, in my experience.