Today I got to 899 and screwed everything up and got to 800 at the end of the day, any SUGGESTIONS

OjasNarainSharma

Hey, I think there are many people like me who play hard to push their rank, and sometimes they do get 100 points in a single day but then happens a series of unfortunate events and then they go back where they belonged. So I think you should share your ideas, experiences, thoughts anything you think is good, OH sorry not good but funny.resign.png

maskedvalerian

I'd think you should analyze your games and keep working on it. More games you lose there's more to learn. I'm quite low in ratings, so keep that in mind as well before listening to me happy.png

param_veer

My suggestion is take a good coach. In India we have many good ones available at a reasonable price. The coach provides you a structure and priority on where are your strengths & weaknesses. Which books you should study at your level. Once a week class plus investment of time during the week to study, helps a lot in improving your rating. (I was once at 627). 

OjasNarainSharma
param_veer wrote:

My suggestion is take a good coach. In India we have many good ones available at a reasonable price. The coach provides you a structure and priority on where are your strengths & weaknesses. Which books you should study at your level. Once a week class plus investment of time during the week to study, helps a lot in improving your rating. (I was once at 627). 

THANKS

the_chess_zebra

Not every day is the same.  Some days, your brain is sharp and you can do well at chess.  Other days, you might be experiencing a bit of stress or maybe you're simply a bit tired.

Play a lot of games.  Choose one opening and practice.   It's best to choose a simple opening.  Just practice how the opening works.  Learn the opening for white and black  (black should be the mirror image if the opening is simple).  Watch how various opponents respond.

Learning one opening will teach you discipline, patience, the cost of making a bad move, and how to use the opening so you will put the opponent in an impossible position.  Don't worry too much if you run into players who crush you.  All the variations of your opening will come to you in time.

When you finally understand all the in's and out's of the opening and how to vary your moves if the opponent puts up a good defense, you will find that you have attained a vast array of knowledge and skill.  At that point, you will see your rating go up.

Then, when you can hold a new 100 point increase fairly well, it's time to learn another opening and also the various ways an opponent can build a defense.

Chess requires practice.  It's no good to fill your mind with a bunch of knowledge about technique until you have played many games with that first opening you chose. 

KeSetoKaiba

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/why-is-my-rating-dropping

This forum may be useful to you; but in short, rating swings for everyone just because of the nature of the system. If it helps, you may want to utilize some sort of stop-loss system to make sure you are playing clear headed and not "on tilt" ("stop-loss" is where you stop for the day [or session] if your rating drops x-amount to prevent huge drops in rating quickly, so you can come back another time when you are more focused and playing your A-game chess).

KeSetoKaiba

p.s. Rating swings (especially drops) still happen to anyone and everyone though. I just dropped over 100 points really recently too (although I got about 20 points back today and 20 the night before, but it is still a long climb back; losing rating is easier than gaining it xD).

KabilSharma

I understand how you feel, some of us simply have bad days, happens to me a lot.

2Ke21-0

My suggestion is to not screw everything up.

CriticalCare

My suggestion is limiting yourself in how many games you play. This limits the damage a bad day can do. For example, I limit myself to three rated games per day. These should be slow games, fast chess builds bad habits when you are a beginner. 

Limiting my games was one of many things that I think helped get me above 1000 and into the 1300's. 

number1048576

Do tactics tactics and more tactics. They will come up in your games and you will win alot more. Don't focus on positional chess (apart from the basics like develop your pieces,get a good centre and get your king safe) or learning a bunch of theory.

number1048576

But also keep in mind that there are alot of ways to improve at chess. Learning opening traps could get you quick and easy wins. Generaally, don't play too many games without going over them, and follow the mantra study,play,study,play