Forums

Daily Puzzle Submissions! *Be Involved*

Sort:
chinmayT
Here is a little made up (Edited) puzzle.. its from a game i played.. Welcome any feedback... thanks

tuoheng
White to Move and Win

friedmelon

[COMMENT EDITED]

friedmelon

my puzzle

friedmelon

bandits at a house medium

friedmelon
tuoheng wrote:

White to Move and Win

2... Qe3+

Kazzamii

[DELETED COMMENT]

Kazzamii

My favourite chess puzzle, not too easy

White to move and be in a completely winning position.

Kazzamii

Anyway, how do you get your puzzles into the daily puzzle. The user DailyPuzzle is gone

BryanCFB
RagentTGA wrote:

Are you sure this is the correct solution?  The move that made the least sense to me was the underpromotion to a rook.  A queen seems superior because black's king is not confined to the square it is currently on, therefore there is no potential stalemate danger for white.

Am I missing anything?

Kazzamii
BryanCFB wrote:
RagentTGA wrote:

Are you sure this is the correct solution?  The move that made the least sense to me was the underpromotion to a rook.  A queen seems superior because black's king is not confined to the square it is currently on, therefore there is no potential stalemate danger for white.

Am I missing anything?

if 5. b8=Q, then 5....Bf1, then Qb1, king can go Kxh2. It will be a draw whereas if white go Qxf1, it is stalemate. This is also proved to be true if you go Qh7+ Black will go Bh3 to block. But, if you 5. b8=R Bf1 6. Rb1 there is no stalemate if black go Kxh2 then Rxf1. so black must go Kg2 to defend the bishop while also attacking the f2 pawn

n9531l
RagentTGA wrote:

if 5. b8=Q, then 5....Bf1, then Qb1, king can go Kxh2. It will be a draw whereas if white go Qxf1, it is stalemate.

It's the kind of position that gives some chess engines trouble. The queen promotion gives White such a high positive evaluation that the engine assumes there's a win just over the horizon.

Kazzamii
n9531l wrote:
RagentTGA wrote:

if 5. b8=Q, then 5....Bf1, then Qb1, king can go Kxh2. It will be a draw whereas if white go Qxf1, it is stalemate.

It's the kind of position that gives some chess engines trouble. The queen promotion gives White such a high positive evaluation that the engine assumes there's a win just over the horizon.

yeah, Stockfish and Komodo 9 failed to solve it because they thought b8=Q is the best move

BryanCFB
RagentTGA wrote:
BryanCFB wrote:
RagentTGA wrote:

Am I missing anything?

if 5. b8=Q, then 5....Bf1, then Qb1, king can go Kxh2. It will be a draw whereas if white go Qxf1, it is stalemate. This is also proved to be true if you go Qh7+ Black will go Bh3 to block. But, if you 5. b8=R Bf1 6. Rb1 there is no stalemate if black go Kxh2 then Rxf1. so black must go Kg2 to defend the bishop while also attacking the f2 pawn

4 hours ago · Quote · #2523

RagentTGA

n9531l wrote:
RagentTGA wrote:

yeah, Stockfish and Komodo 9 failed to solve it because they thought b8=Q is the best move

Thanks for explaining.  Well at least I think like a strong engine.Smile

Kazzamii

Here is another puzzle, quite easy. White to move and win the game.

LeftTaxi

Join my tournament at https://www.chess.com/tournament/world-chess-open-1

Kazzamii

another puzzle, quite hard. White to move and win

BryanCFB
RagentTGA wrote:

Got every move (and very quickly) except for the last one (the win is elementary at that point).  We had a similar daily puzzle with a similar theme recently so I recognized the winning procedure right away.  But if one hasn't seen anything similar before this would definitely be a hard one.

Kazzamii

BryanCFB wrote:

RagentTGA wrote:

Got every move (and very quickly) except for the last one (the win is elementary at that point).  We had a similar daily puzzle with a similar theme recently so I recognized the winning procedure right away.  But if one hasn't seen anything similar before this would definitely be a hard one.

Nice! :D

n9531l
RagentTGA wrote:

Here is another puzzle, quite easy. White to move and win the game.

Yes, the mate in 3 is easy. But suppose you're required to move the knight first. Would you find the mate in 7 after Nc5, or the mate in 14 after Nc7, or the mate in 22 after Nb4?

This forum topic has been locked