Forums

The Women's World Chess Championship of 2012

Sort:
trysts

6:30am, stayed up all night, the game is really exciting then draw. I need a drinkLaughing

pdela

the fighting spirit of women Trysts talked about

pdela
trysts escribió:

6:30am, stayed up all night, the game is really exciting then draw. I need a drink

when not?

Scottrf

The Sofia rules - theoretical draw only - is that tablebase or all 'known' draws? How is it judged? There are positions that are easy draws with far more than 6 pieces.

trysts

Pdela I'm going to throw this pillow at you!

pdela

I don't think they are playing with Sofia rules, they would have to keep on

pdela
trysts escribió:

Pdela I'm going to throw this pillow at you!

A pillow?,  it is smooth

pdela

This is the one I use:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ostrich-pillow/ostrich-pillow

trysts
Scottrf wrote:

The Sofia rules - theoretical draw only - is that tablebase or all 'known' draws? How is it judged? There are positions that are easy draws with far more than 6 pieces.

All I know is that they are not supposed to draw in 17 moves! They should show us the draw. 

BTW, pdela, I read something earlier where a MAN gm drew all his games in a tournament by averaging 13 moves a gameLaughing

trysts

Make that ten moves a game:

"In the Premier I group at the 2003 Capablanca Memorial tournament, Péter Székely took just 130 moves (an average of 10 moves per game) to draw all 13 of his games (Winter 2008)."

Fighting spirit of menLaughing

Scottrf

Probably why he's not an elite player.

trysts
Scottrf wrote:

He's definitely an MGM.

trysts

So, the women's world chess championship is tied 1-1 after two games. Game three will have Anna Ushenina with the white pieces tomorrow. GoodnightSmile

pdela
trysts escribió:

Make that ten moves a game:

"In the Premier I group at the 2003 Capablanca Memorial tournament, Péter Székely took just 130 moves (an average of 10 moves per game) to draw all 13 of his games (Winter 2008)."

Fighting spirit of men

But I didn't say anything about fighting spirit of men.

And you know guy made it into the chess records, its the only thing he is known for.

Did you like my pillow?

goldendog
Scottrf wrote:

I heard that his wife was standing behind him all those games, arms crossed, a rolling pin in one hand, hair up in rollers, and nagging him.

Otherwise I'm sure he would have made Morphy proud.

eddysallin
trysts wrote:

Hi. I searched through the forums and could not find any threads on the WWCC tournament, so I thought I would start one for those who are following it like myself. 

The official site is here: http://chess2012.ugrasport.com/

The tournament lasts the rest of November, and into December. Where I live, the tournament starts daily at about 3:00am, so I won't be able to watch it everyday live. 

The tournament started with 64 women yesterday, paired off into 32 matches of two games each, with tie-breakers used in case the mini-match does not produce a winner.

I want to see Yifan Hou against either Anna Muzychuk, Natalija Poginina, or Kateryna Lahno. in the final;) I don't want another Humpy-Hou final, but that's just me.

One of the commentators at the original site is former world chess champion Alexandr Khalifman.

Whenever I have any thoughts on the tournament I'll put them here--like the bizarre post-match press conference with Ju Wenjun yesterday(which could have been a translation problem), or Anastasia Bodnaruk's win with a two rook sacrifice yesterday. 

If anyone has any comments during this month long tournament, you'll know that at least one person is reading them(me)

Thanks! 

It's 2012, time for woman to jumb in and play all gender tourns. Chess orgs. need ratings equal for all tittles.

pdela
Scottrf escribió:

I'd be more worried about knowing which teletubbie is the gay one...

purple!, do you think purple is a macho outfit?

pdela
Doggy_Style escribió:

Why do female-only titles/tournaments exist?

Well, here's the brutal truth: Women (generally... yeah, yeah, Polgar... one swallow doesn't make a Summer) are not competitive at this game. If they didn't get this leg-up (prize money, bogus titles and invitations), you wouldn't see a single adult female at most tournaments.

Really, it's about time that women shunned these Mickey Mouse titles/tournaments, grew a pair and jumped in with the big boys. Instead, they sell all notion of equality down the river, chasing an easier buck.

Women's chess is much akin to women's tennis, not worth watching unless one of them is pretty.

nooooohhh, now they were organizing The 100m Sprint White Men World Championship

ozzie_c_cobblepot
Benkobaby wrote:

Bogo it was - given the move order. White plays 3. Nf3 instead of Nc3 in order to avoid the Nimzo-Indian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogo-Indian_Defence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimzo-Indian_Defence

As Black I never play the Nimzo or the Bogo .... like a dog unable to resist chasing its favourite ball I always play 2. ...c5! after 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4. I can't help myself - it's a pavlovian response.

And since you play the Benko, I'm guessing you play 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5!?

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Wow - I would NOT have expected a theoretical discussion of the Noteboom in such a high-level game! Cool.

The most surprising comment for me so far was when @trysts said that it was an hour into the game, and was suggesting a move like b3. Their position was very theoretical, and the only line I know is b3 Bb7 bxc4 b4 with double-edged play.

Note that I, and I'm sure a lot of other titled and non-titled players, say "with double-edged play" when we really have no idea what's going on in the position.

Note further that I am guessing, but have no idea, that this position has been researched many times in the past 10 years with Houdini/Rybka/Shredder/etc, independently by several chess professionals, and more or less has a verdict. Has there been a theoretical article in some NIC about it?