Hello, my name is Daniel Guel, I am seventeen years old. I live in Waco, TX in a house full of nine total people! I play with the small, though developing Waco Chess Club, and my rating is currently 1817 USCF, good for Class-A status.
My chess story begins in May of 2013 when I discovered a chess software of my Dad’s called “Chessmaster”. I thought of it as just another computer game and started toying around with it. I was only able to play computer players, and held an impressive rating on the software of 1! I still did not have the chess dreams and aspirations I do today, though I did not want to look like the worst player on the planet! So I decided to start working my way up… and solely by playing computer players (and a comprehensive tutorial by Josh Waitzkin on the program), I got my Chessmaster rating to about 1000. I lost interest in Chessmaster and started playing on Chess.com.
A year later, at age thirteen, I played my first ever rated OTB tournament. I was excited to play in a tournament environment among some of the best chess players in Central Texas! As most players do on their first try, I struggled with one win out of three rounds and achieved an initial rating of 1081. A tournament later, I upset a 1400+ player (very impressive back then), and raised my rating to 1225! A year after that, I got 25 games with the USCF (meaning my rating was no longer provisional), and my rating was roughly 1400. I can brag about my rating surges until the cows come home, though feel free to check out this graph about my OTB progress:
- 92nd percentile among all USCF players
- 97th percentile among all USCF junior (under 21) players
- 96th percentile among all Texas players
- 146 regular-rated games under the USCF
- Class-A player (1800+ USCF)
- 3rd-category title earned on June 3rd, 2017. Visit http://www.glicko.net/ratings/titles.pdf for more info about these titles. I also have three second category norms, including one Candidate Master norm.
- Tied for 2nd place in 2017 & 2018 Waco City Championship Qualifier/Tournament
- Tied for 6th out of 95 in 2018 Texas Scholastic Championships, achieving a 2165 performance rating (good for 4th in TPR) as well as crossing 1800.
- Victory against FM Dachey Lin (2340 USCF) in forementioned tournament with Black pieces.
- I am also a tournament director for the Waco Chess Club and have credit for 36 tournaments directed (including Quick/Blitz tournaments).
My long-term chess goal is to obtain National Master status (2200 USCF). Only 400 more points to go! I also aspire to be a professional chess coach once I reach NM. Even if I don’t do it professionally full-time, presenting the wonderful game to others and helping people succeed will always be a desire of mine.
Some random things about myself (chess, and not chess!):
According to 16-personalities, I am a logistician. Not all of the features perfectly match with my personality, though it’s pretty accurate overall. According to the chess personality test, I am a Professional, and I think their description of the style is very accurate to mine.
My favorite food is Mexican, though I really enjoy Italian as well. I believe Mexican has a larger variety of good foods, and plus, I am half Mexican!
My best chess friend is @PBFoster. We knew each other before we even were into chess! I introduced him to the game, and we both loved it. We’ve played eight times in tournament play (tied with City Champion Jason Howell for most frequent opponent), and I currently hold a 5/8 edge. He is currently in tech school in the Air Force.
I live in a house with two parents and six siblings! All but one are younger than me!
I am a Junior in High School. I was homeschooled all of my life until this year when I enrolled in a small public school. I’ve had a good time there, and look forward to my Senior year! I plan to go to a community college for two years, then hopefully some university for my last two years. I played football and ran track for my school.
I’ve had two chess coaches in the past: Sam Copeland himself (2016), and NM Julian Lin (2016-2017). I’ve had fun working with both of them. I am currently not coached.
A few more notes:
- I used to only friend people I personally know. However, I’ve been opening up to users I know well digitally (through my blog, comments section, etc). I still don’t friend just anyone, though feel free to send me a request.
- I’m currently not accepting daily requests, though that is subject to change. PM me if you want to play live.
- I block/report members who are consistently rude, cuss/swear in my content, etc. Some people, I may block them for an indefinite amount of time (one week, one month, etc). I normally don’t take the time to detect cheaters, though I will occasionally run a game I lost through the computer. So watch out cheaters! If you’re suspected, you are blocked and reported!
- If you private message me, it is my goal to answer, though don’t take anything personally if I forget. Pester me again! Though please don’t initiate conversations on my notes that would be more appropriate for PM. If you post a note on my profile, I may not answer!
- Also, feel free to email me at email@example.com
I think that’s it…