Principles in the King's Gambit

• webmaster
  • | Mar 9, 2012

This is a quick guide to a video series.

This series by IM Pruess, designed for intermediate (1300-1700 USCF) players, teaches about:

• the key opening principles
  • how to use them to guide your opening play
  • how to balance and compare them to each other
  • how to think during the opening
  • and some specific patterns and ideas in the King's Gambit

Not what you were looking for?? Back to the video guide!

And the videos in order:

Applying Principles in the King's Gambit 1: (beginner-intermediate level) This video introduces you to the role of the different important opening principles in the King's Gambit.

Applying Principles in the King's Gambit 2: (intermediate) This video covers some lines from the King's Gambit Declined where black places the bishop on c5, interfering with king-side castling. The central theme to this lesson: how black should fight against a strong center when white establishes it, and how white should defend and use that center.

Applying Principles in the King's Gambit 3: (intermediate) Here we look at two different examples of what can happen when white trades king safety for central control in classic King's Gambit fashion!

Member Analysis: Principles in the King's Gambit: (beginner-intermediate) Here we look at an informative member game, for some of the real-life decisions that you may have to make in your own games.

I may extend this series further in the future-- I have not decided yet!

Comments

epoqueepique

ezra4moso

IM dpruess

okiedoke!

yousef213

David please include some "regular" accepted lines (as in not Be7)

I would like to see 3. Nf3 and 3.Bc4

IM dpruess

alright, thats enough requests for me :-) i'll do some more kg videos.

MrMars

extend the series!!! Best opening EVER!

CB-39

Having watched, and enjoyed these videos, I feel I have got a good grasp now of the general principles involved and how to set about evaluating the situation and how to weigh up the options now. Just what I am looking for.

Please continue when you can, it can only benefit anyone who watches.

deathbychessss

"Winning with King's Gambit" (accepted - vol1 AND declined - vol2) by GM Soltis are old but quite decent.

I have watched these videos several times, very nice please cotinue for us who play it regulary OTB.

Lavner

Maybe you'll like The King's Gambit by John Shaw due this month .

correction: hopefully May 2012.  (was postponed several times)

IM dpruess

i don't have any recommendation, i've never seen one i liked much.

Gileslewey

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on the King's Gambit? I found an old one, but it's pre-computer (or decent chess engine anyway) and I've found a broken line already in the Becker defense. It's Winning With the King's Gambit by Joe Gallagher. (Seems fine otherwise.)

Lavner

earlier post wasn't published

I'm a club player ~1700 and just started playing this opening. (4 games) in all my games i was better at the end of the opening phase . including a game against a master 2100+ and lost only to a poor endgame play.

Please do David, make more videos on the subject.

IM dpruess

well first let's see if you actually like these videos, and then if you stillll want me to extend it, i'll strongly consider it :-) i love the king's gambit, so i'm happy to do more videos on it.

sryiwannadraw

Thanks, i love this opening , i could play it all day! Innocent

DrFrank124c

I haven't had time to actually watch these videos yet but the King's Gambit is my favorite opening and IM Pruess is my favorite video star. If you check out the Game Explorer you will see that it has the highest statistical rating, in terms of wins, of any of the openings yet it is one of the most neglected. And it makes for exciting, tactical games! Please do extend this series with more in depth technical details.

jhb701

Awesome! Love these videos that let me get up to speed on the opening and apply it in online game play! This is how I learn and make decisions about what to try over-the-board. Highly consumable material!

RussBell

Joey0094 comments are completely off base and clueless.  IMdpruess response is appropriate.

IM dpruess

haha, tall order, but fair enough :-) we will *eventually* fulfill it.

cookie3

Thank you for the videos!  It is nice to find an interactive source that explains the principles.  I am trying to learn more about openings and am having a hard time finding a source that explains them to my level; most seem geared for expert level players.  I hope that you continue this series....especially on KIA, QGA, QGD, English, and Reti...sorry, had to get my plug in!Tongue out  Again.....THANKS!

IM dpruess

playing is definitely always an important part of learning chess, but just playing by itself is not "the best way to learn;" every strong chess player agrees on that. and then what you said doesn't make sense "principles set forth are too general" and at the same time "only teach to play by memory instead of understanding the ideas." my guess is that since you have a basic membership you haven't even watched my videos. in any case, the point of teaching 1)what the key principles are and then 2) how to weigh them against each other is specifically designed to teach someone to understand how to play the opening, rather than anything to repeat by memory. i'm pretty sure my videos do accomplish that, at least to some extent.