Forums

Bobby Fischer body to be Exhumed

Sort:
trysts
Phobetrix wrote:

Are you seriously questioning the occurence of Jewish culture before 1910?

Yes. Is there a christian culture? A hindu culture? A wicca culture? Anyone can dispute what a culture is and who is assigned to it. Until the zionist movement began, there was no jewish culture. There were people who believed in that religion and they were all over the world. When the zionist movement started, probably in the late 19th century, one of the goals was to find a single place for a jewish culture.

Phobetrix

Well, now you're caught Cool because you now need to DEFINE culture!

trysts
Phobetrix wrote:

Well, now you're caught because you now need to DEFINE culture!

LaughingIn this instance, I would be good with defining culture as a place where a few generations of people said they believed in a jewish religion, and wrote texts, and assigned texts to their jewish religion, and had their kids raised under the influence of the texts they wrote and assigned to the jewish religion.

Phobetrix

.....and you are seriously claiming that THAT is only ~100 years old? If so, I think you need to seriously think againLaughing

trysts
Phobetrix wrote:

.....and you are seriously claiming that THAT is only ~100 years old? If so, I think you need to seriously think again

Is continuously implying that I am not "serious" your whole argument?

Phobetrix

No, it was a clearly put question: are you really serious about your statement that Jewish culture is only about 100 years old? 

Ideological_slave
Phobetrix wrote:

Well, now you're caught because you now need to DEFINE culture!

lol!

trysts
Phobetrix wrote:

No, it was a clearly put question: are you really serious about your statement that Jewish culture is only about 100 years old? 

I answered that question. You obviously are completely empty of having a point. But don't worry, most people don'tLaughing

Phobetrix
trysts wrote:
Phobetrix wrote:

I answered that question. You obviously are completely empty of having a point. But don't worry, most people don't

This is obviously an affirmative answer to my question. In which case I am indeed empty of having anything more to say. Don't worry, most people know almost nothing about history Surprised

trysts

So you just wanted to announce how your skills at argumentation are nonexistant? Okay, you convinced me.Smile

electricpawn

Your contention that Jewish culture is only 100 years old is patently absurd. You're obviously promoting a political and/or anti-semitic agenda.

Phobetrix
trysts wrote:

So you just wanted to announce how your skills at argumentation are nonexistant? Okay, you convinced me.

You can go on exhibiting your argumentation skills - I am out because I would rather keep to historical facts. 

trysts
electricpawn wrote:

Your contention that Jewish culture is only 100 years old is patently absurd. You're obviously promoting a political and/or anti-semitic agenda.

What? I'm not promoting a political or anti-semitic agenda. Can you point to where you find that?

trysts
Phobetrix wrote:
trysts wrote:

So you just wanted to announce how your skills at argumentation are nonexistant? Okay, you convinced me.

You can go on exhibiting your argumentation skills - I am out because I would rather keep to historical facts. 

You mean all those "facts" you produced in this thread? Produce your "historical facts", and I'll be happy to learn, or to tell you why I don't agree.

Phobetrix
trysts wrote:
Phobetrix wrote:
trysts wrote:

You mean all those "facts" you produced in this thread? Produce your "historical facts", and I'll be happy to learn, or to tell you why I don't agree.

This thread is not the right forum to produce something that broad and obvious. Perhaps you may start from the site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_history

and then you may consider the Old Testament

There is, of course, a lot more but I think it is useless to argue under these circumstances

Archaic71

I think there is some confusion betwixt the concept of Judaism and Zionism.  Somebody probably needs to take a history lesson.

trysts
Phobetrix wrote:
trysts wrote:
Phobetrix wrote:
trysts wrote:

This thread is not the right forum to produce something that broad and obvious. Perhaps you may start from the site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_history

and then you may consider the Old Testament

There is, of course, a lot more but I think it is useless to argue under these circumstances

"The Old Testament", is so filled with obvious myth, that it is hardly a source for "historical facts".

And your Wiki link uses many religious texts to unfold it's "Jewish History", and that again must be considered dubious. So, is it that complicated for you to tell me what you learned from all those sources? I know it's the "circumstances" you're in which make arguing for me to be more "serious", and to "think again", a rather daunting task. But maybe you could try.

Phobetrix

Look trysts, much of what I am going to say really does depend on how you define culture (hence, the question about that earlier here was not only a joke). The foundations of a great many of the old cultures (all?) depend and rely on myth and folklore. Those ARE part of the culture! Sure, much of their details can be criticized, but the key parts remain. Nevertheless, it seems extremely unlikely (to me impossible) that they (in this case Jewish culture) have arisen only 100 years ago. There is, for example, enough literature from the Middle Ages about various aspects of Jewish culture to make the contention that it is only 100 years old outright ridiculous in my view (sorry Embarassed).

trysts
Phobetrix wrote:

Look trysts, much of what I am going to say really does depend on how you define culture (hence, the question about that earlier here was not only a joke). The foundations of a great many of the old cultures (all?) depend and rely on myth and folklore. Those ARE part of the culture! Sure, much of their details can be criticized, but the key parts remain. Nevertheless, it seems extremely unlikely (to me impossible) that they (in this case Jewish culture) have arisen only 100 years ago. There is, for example, enough literature from the Middle Ages about various aspects of Jewish culture to make the contention that it is only 100 years old outright ridiculous in my view (sorry ).

Well then, in this instance we have differing views on "culture". I say it is in one place, you say it's all over the place. I say the people who began the zionist movement can make a claim to "the jewish culture" if they wish, seeing how they set up a "jewish cultural center" in Palestine called Israel. You say the myths and legends are a part of a thread that people all over the world may claim to be a member of if they wish. Right?

Archaic71

No need to apologize to tryst, he knows exactly what he is doing - baiting us.