Forums

1590 standart player looking for books.

Sort:
Robles_Ulises

im looking for good chess books to strenght up my overall gameplay. if you could suggest tactics, strategy, endings and games compilations books it would be very appreciated.

JamesColeman

Let's see how long it takes for someone to recommend a Jeremy Silman book

tomgdrums
JamesColeman wrote:

Do you not like Silman's books?  And in the interest of full disclosure I LOVED Silman's 'The Amateur's Mind" but did not care for his Endgame book as much as everyone else did.

tliu1222

4 minutes. Now another 3 extra, because I do! I read his endgame book. :)

chessBBQ

What's wrong with Silman's Complete Endgame Course?

CatGorilla

I think his stuff is great.  In the early 90s, "My System" by Nimsowitsch was the book everyone recommended, but Silman's "How to Reassess your Chess" came out and it became the best book by far...though I prefer more aggressive books like "Art of Attack in Chess" by Vukovic or books on games like the big book of Tal's games.   

NimzoRoy

http://www.chess.com/blog/NimzoRoy/endgame-books

http://www.chess.com/blog/NimzoRoy/beginner-chess-book-recommendations  (not just strictly for beginners!)

tomgdrums
chessBBQ wrote:

What's wrong with Silman's Complete Endgame Course?

I just never liked the "by rating" lay out.  I like Nunn's Understanding Chess Endings and the Lev Alburt Endings book.   But on the flip side when I was a premium member here I went through Silman's Chess Mentor Courses on Pawn Endings and then Rook Endings and they were SUPERB!!  Silman's ability to explain things is almost without equal. (although I think Nunn is UNDERrated in this regard)  I just didn't like the structure of Silman's endgame book.

2200ismygoal

My System, Reassess your Chess, My 60 Memorable Games, Art of Attack.  I could probably list about 30 more books but these are what first come to mind.

royalbishop
JamesColeman wrote:

Moves came a bit insticntive to me till  i read his books which are good but the way it is written is like a rule book.  Put this way it was like a rule of how to turn the page.  Somtimes you just need to simply things that are simple.

U_N_I_C_R_O_N

"Captain Underpants" a series by Dav Pilkey.    

These books will teach you everything you need to know to annihilate your opponents.  I'm actually not joking, it's fascinating how the Capt. faces off against villains and refuses to accept authority.

royalbishop
U_N_I_C_R_O_N wrote:

"Captain Underpants" a series by Dav Pilkey.    

These books will teach you everything you need to know to annihilate your opponents.  I'm actually not joking, it's fascinating how the Capt. faces off against villains and refuses to accept authority.

Man little man already think he is tough if he reads this he will think he is invincible! Problem his friends have this also. Sealed

Mandy711

The Mammoth Book of the World's Grestest Chess Games and 1000 Best of the Best are my recommendations for games collections.

stractics

Read in this order:

1) Predator on the chessboard

2) Ameteur's mind by Silman

3) How to Reassess your chess

royalbishop
anilmarthi123 wrote:

Read in this order:

1) Predator on the chessboard

2) Ameteur's mind by Silman

3) How to Reassess your chess

I think the 2nd is better than the 3rd.

king_nothing1

Who would you call beginners (rating wise)?

NimzoRoy
king_nothing1 wrote:

Who would you call beginners (rating wise)?

Well first of all by "beginner" I don't mean someone who just learned how the pieces move necessarily but offhand I'd say anyone who can't readily ID concepts such as the Lucena Position (and win when they achieve it), Triangulation, Near and Distant Opposition, draws by triple repetition, when Bishops are superior to Kts and vice versa and so on is a beginner IMHO regardless of their rating and considering how inflated the ratings are around here I'm not sure what the cutoff is but my beginner book list includes books appropriate for tyros and for players rated up to 1800 or even higher if they're interested in a book on the list I don't think it would be a waste of their time to check it out.

PawnMayhem

I would recomend the chesscafe puzzlebook series

Robles_Ulises

thank you so much ill take into account all your suggestions. i already reached 1747 in 15/10 standart games so i think ill go straight for Silmans How to reassess your chess.

Robles_Ulises

i also was wondering if becoming premium in order to use chess mentor worth it. Whats your oppinion about that, could i get better faster with chess mentor than reading books?