Forums

Chesbase 12

Sort:
naturalproduct

Can someone let me know what chessbase 12 is? It looks like it may be an excellent learning tool and a way to file games? I have no experience with chess software, so I'm not sure if this would be a good purchase for me. If you want to add an engine, do you have to buy that separately? Like if I wanted to start analyzing my games with Fritz, would I have to buy ChessBase12 and Fritz?

naturalproduct

Hmmm....not a popular topic. Well, I understand why. I just want to look for tools to improve. I'm still lost when it comes to organizing and analyzing games. I'd like to do more annotating, and I thought this may help...

benonidoni

I've also been interested in Chessbase 12 and its very expensive. Would I need the starter edition. Premium. Is the download enough from chessbase. Also does it make any sense at all if you already have Fritz 13 and the live update and a megadatabase already in your chess tools.

To give you some idea naturalproduct the software is very popular. It searches by position and openings to games within a megadatabase (If you have that in your package) to show games on an opening sequence of moves. From what I understand its a database not a chess game. Therefore its not like fritz in the sense that you can play a game of chess with it. Its a database showing positional occurences in a professional game ect. ect. ect. The features go on and on. check you tube with many tutorials on how it works.

naturalproduct
benonidoni wrote:

I've also been interested in Chessbase 12 and its very expensive. Would I need the starter edition. Premium. Is the download enough from chessbase. Also does it make any sense at all if you already have Fritz 13 and the live update and a megadatabase already in your chess tools.

To give you some idea naturalproduct the software is very popular. It searches by position and openings to games within a megadatabase (If you have that in your package) to show games on an opening sequence of moves. From what I understand its a database not a chess game. Therefore its not like fritz in the sense that you can play a game of chess with it. Its a database showing positional occurences in a professional game ect. ect. ect. The features go on and on. check you tube with many tutorials on how it works.

Oh, cool! So you can research positions? Sort of like the game explorer here? Hmm..Not really interested in playing chess on it, but do wonder if it will help me to analyze my games....that may require a seperate purchase of fritz, etc. At that point it becomes too expensive. However, if I can access a lard database of positions, I may be able to just use Chessbase 12 without buying an engine. Now I wonder, like you, what package is best for the amateur.

Vease

You can add very strong free engines like Stockfish or Critter or even the old free versions of Houdini and Rybka to chessbase for analysis.

Chessbase is really good for researching openings, play through a game in the variation you want to a certain position and then use the filters to bring up a list of games that match whatever criteria you specify.

Its also good for finding instructive games with particular positional motifs like playing against an IQP or opposite colour bishop endings or particular types of pawn centres etc, etc.

Its also bloatware to a certain extent because although they trumpet the five million game megabase as a big selling point you will only ever look at a tiny fraction of those, plus the opening preparation feature is only relevant if you are likely to play in a FIDE rated open event anytime soon

Used properly it can be a great learning tool, but unless you have dreams of becoming a titled player its not worth paying for the premium package.

naturalproduct
Vease wrote:

You can add very strong free engines like Stockfish or Critter or even the old free versions of Houdini and Rybka to chessbase for analysis.

Chessbase is really good for researching openings, play through a game in the variation you want to a certain position and then use the filters to bring up a list of games that match whatever criteria you specify.

Its also good for finding instructive games with particular positional motifs like playing against an IQP or opposite colour bishop endings or particular types of pawn centres etc, etc.

Its also bloatware to a certain extent because although they trumpet the five million game megabase as a big selling point you will only ever look at a tiny fraction of those, plus the opening preparation feature is only relevant if you are likely to play in a FIDE rated open event anytime soon

Used properly it can be a great learning tool, but unless you have dreams of becoming a titled player its not worth paying for the premium package.

I am playing in a USCF tournament soon and do want to become titled, so I think I will look into it more. Thanks

Moyuba

there are some good free database software options out there. i use scid, but there are a couple of other options too. it's probably a good idea to try out the free options before splashing out a load of money.