Forums

Chess software for teaching & analysis

Sort:
peritoo

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone could help me with some software.

Essentially I'm interested in the software that is used when doing streaming/training videos where the narrator or trainer can draw coloured arrows and colour in the background of squares to aid in visualizing the plans or tactics for the position on the board.

I wouldn't be surprised if it can be done with a standard version of Fritz, but I've searched the manuals and had no success. I find the UI moderately un-intuitive so a hint would be great.

It doesn't have to be Fritz/Chessbase of course.

Thanks,

Craig

hakim2005

i don"t believe there is software that is better than chessbase products

try aquarium

EscherehcsE

Yep, Fritz can do it. From the Fritz 13 manual -

"Graphic commentary
The program uses coloured arrows and squares to illustrate tactical points and make strategic themes and plans more clear. You can manually enter these using a combination of mouse and keyboard. Press the Alt key and click a square or draw a line from one square to another. This will give you a green square or arrow. Alt+Ctrl does the same in yellow, use Alt+Shift for red. Clicking on the area around the board will remove the arrows and colored squares. All of this is great for chess lectures."

peritoo

Ha - fantastic!!

Thanks, it was slightly buried, I didn't think to search on "graphic commentary".

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Craig

TetsuoShima
[COMMENT DELETED]
fburton

Why those three colours? They're not so friendly for red-green colourblind folks.

mldavis617

Doesn't really matter because they show up on-screen as shades of gray and they are still easily visible.  I looked at Arena and it doesn't' have that feature.  I'm not familiar with SCID but under Options --> Moves there are some options for showing arrows for variations.  I don't think it's intended for instruction diagramming.

MJ4H

Lucas Chess has a cool feature called "Director" that let's you put almost any shape of any color/transparency, etc. on the board as visual aids.  Worth checking out, for sure.

CowboyNoel

Thank you MJ4h, I have been looking for years for a freeware that has the functionality of Lucas chess. You can set what color arrows and boxes that you want and what function keys to activate them. You can add many icons, like an explosion, time clock, or clouds.  This can be done on the fly adding and erasing these items as you are presenting. 

I have the most current Chessbase and Fritz products, they have too much fancy ribbons and connectivity to be practical tools.  Some of us work best with written menus that save space instead of icons that have a monster footprint on your monitor's desktop.

DrFrank124c
CowboyNoel wrote:

Thank you MJ4h, I have been looking for years for a freeware that has the functionality of Lucas chess. You can set what color arrows and boxes that you want and what function keys to activate them. You can add many icons, like an explosion, time clock, or clouds.  This can be done on the fly adding and erasing these items as you are presenting. 

I have the most current Chessbase and Fritz products, they have too much fancy ribbons and connectivity to be practical tools.  Some of us work best with written menus that save space instead of icons that have a monster footprint on your monitor's desktop.

I have Lucas Chess but cannot find this "Director" feature. How do I access it? Lucas Chess is indeed a very good program and I train with it every day. I especially like its game analysis feature.

PossibleOatmeal

This video should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKwdghic5A