Forums

Opening literature for KID ?

Sort:
Winnie_Pooh

Can anybody recommend a good book dealing with the main stratetic ideas in the KID both for White and Black ?

Thanks !

blake78613

Starting Out:  the King's Indian Defense,

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Out-Kings-Indian-Everyman/dp/1857442342

Winnie_Pooh

Thanks Blake !

B.t.w. - you look like me ! Smile

kwaloffer
Winnie_Pooh wrote:

Can anybody recommend a good book dealing with the main stratetic ideas in the KID both for White and Black ?

Thanks !

Fundamental Chess Openings spends 28 large-format pages on the KID's ideas, and you get the same sort of treatment for all other openings as well.

blake78613
Winnie_Pooh wrote:

Thanks Blake !

B.t.w. - you look like me !

Your welcome.  We do look alike.  I didn't notice your FIDE rating when I made the recommendation.  I hope its not too basic for you.

Winnie_Pooh
blake78613 wrote:
Winnie_Pooh wrote:

Thanks Blake !

B.t.w. - you look like me !

Your welcome.  We do look alike.  I didn't notice your FIDE rating when I made the recommendation.  I hope its not too basic for you.Never

Never mind - I will check it out anyhow. I just started experimenting with the KID. It is really fascinating but I am confused by the huge number of different lines, motives and set-ups. Therefore I am looking for some general guidelines.

Here_Is_Plenty

Bronstein on the King's Indian is amazing.  The book changed my game a lot.  Truly a great book.  Takes a positional view of opening.

NextLvL

If you want a complete repertoire then there's nothing better than the recent 2 Attacking Chess the King's Indian volumes by David Vigorito. However if you're just looking for something basic then Starting out the King's Indian is ok but I think Golubev's Understanding the King's Indian would be better.

Winnie_Pooh

Thanks NextLvL, thanks everyone !

I will start with Starting out - i have already ordered it.

aansel

The best book for Understanding structures etc is out of print--Mastering the King's Indian by Bellin and Ponztto--check used sources to see if a reasonable priced copy is available--Watson also does an excellent job of explaining the ideas in his recent Opening series

SisypheanLife

Or, I suggest  Logical Chess: Move by Move,