Forums

An interesting line vs the French

Sort:
Expertise87

I encountered this interesting line yesterday and thought it deserves some analysis:

Expertise87

It's not a game I played. If you look at the note to White's 21st, I credited the game as Roy Chowdhury - Mueller 2005 and gave an improvement. Actually this was shown to me by a friend at the Evanston club on Tuesday.

I prefer the Tarrasch, and I doubt White has anything after the more intuitive 8...Nc6.

makikihustle

18... 0-0 was a blunder. ...f6 is better, but in all the lines I analyzed, White ends up winning eventually.

I'm only a 2050 player so my analysis may not be the best, but I consider the bishop misplaced on c5 in the opening (even though it "seems" the most natural), and I always recapture with ...nc5 for that reason. It also avoids this line, which, the more I look at it, looks more and more like a solid victory for white.

Nice find!

InfiniteFlash
Expertise87 wrote:

I encountered this interesting line yesterday and thought it deserves some analysis:

Yes...I have already found this in my own independent analysis, at the end white has probably a decisive advantage. It is not clear though. I remember one very funny line with 18..f6 19.Nf7 O-O

Elubas and I talked about this a few months ago on live, and we came to the conclusion its likely much better for white, but nothing decisive yet.

It is a nice combination though really.

InfiniteFlash

black can't play the natural Bxf2+, this is nearly a blunder.

probably has to play some h6, i played a standard game in this line a few months ago, and got a quite playable position. White has very good attacking chances on the kingside though.

InfiniteFlash

Btw, either knight sack after you win the queen on g5, is quite playable, its not clear which is better atm.

Expertise87

Why is Bxf2+ natural? Black is underdeveloped and attacking while the king is still in the center; that is the most unnatural idea I know of in chess.

InfiniteFlash
Expertise87 wrote:

Why is Bxf2+ natural? Black is underdeveloped and attacking while the king is still in the center; that is the most unnatural idea I know of in chess.

It is natural because on the surface it looks like it wins a pawn atleast (missing the Kd2 idea, most chess players would, and without it, white is dead, therefore its natural), deeper analysis reveals otherwise though to "refute" the idea entirely ---- pawn grabbing while underdeveloped = unadvisable.